Adult Basic Education (ABE) Tutor
24 people are interested
Description: Mitchell attended school through 6th grade, but never learned to read. When he became a parent, he decided it was time to learn. Through his hard work, and the help of his volunteer tutor, Mitch did learn to read. "Now I'm ready to study for my GED," he said.
You can help an adult learner like Mitch in attaining personal educational goals, usually in the areas of reading, writing and math. Curriculum is determined by student need.
Tutor basic education skills to an adult who wants to improve his/her reading, writing, math skills for use in daily life. Tutors are needed for all education levels. Sessions are taught one-on-one and meet twice a week for 1.5 hours a session. The sessions are student orientated, thus tutors need to have the ability to design and implement student centered lesson plans.
Requirements: This position requires sensitivity to the adult learner and willingness to be student centered and respect for individuals of varying socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Requires orientation, successful background check and screening interview, training and commitment to a minimum of 6 months of tutoring for 3-4 hours per week. Also, each volunteer must be willing to research or create material for lessons appropriate to student goals.
• Tutor 3 hours a week (two 1.5 hour sessions).
• Detailed monthly reporting to the Education Specialist
• Attend additional in-service training and tutor support meetings
• Represent MSC by conducting oneself according to the Adult Education Program policies and procedures • Abide by confidentiality procedures
• Patient, flexible, and dependable
• Respectful of people from various socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds
• Willingness to research and create material for lessons appropriate to student goals
• Passionate about social change
• Commitment to tutor for at least 6 consecutive months
• Tutor 3 hours per week, 1.5 hours each session
• Must be 18 years and older
• Fluent in reading, writing and speaking English
• Desire to help an adult reach educational and personal goals
• Attend an initial Pre-Service ABE tutor training program
• In-service trainings as offered and tutor support meetings as scheduled
• Become an active member of the community
• Help your community work towards social change through education
• Experience the rewards of changing someone’s life
• Gain new skills
We'll work with your schedule.
1200 S 336th St.Federal Way, WA 98003
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training