4 people are interested
Board of Trustees Member - Development Expert
ORGANIZATION: Athena Academy
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Athena is seeking a new Board of Trustee member with fundraising and development experience, including experience in major gifts, annual campaigns, targeted gifts, alumni gifts, and corporate and high-net worth giving for a 3 year term. In particular, the Board is seeking individuals with the following experience:
- Previously served in a development role for a non-profit;
- Developed signature fundraising events;
- Conducted strategic planning for a wide spectrum of fundraising activities, from annual funds to small fundraising initiative;
- Led the development strategy for a non-profit school or service organization.
Special emphasis on leading a capital campaign for school facilities. Strong interpersonal, communications, and grant-writing skills a plus.
About Athena Academy
525 San Antonio Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94306, US
OUR VISION Athena Academy’s vision is to become a leading institution for the teaching of dyslexic students. We will achieve this vision by developing, applying, and validating innovative teaching methods based on scientific research, and then share these methods with others with the goal of serving as many dyslexic students as possible.
Athena Academy is a nonprofit school for highly dyslexic children in grades 1-8. Despite struggling to learn how to read and write, these students are incredibly bright and gifted, and their creative strengths often exceed those of typical students. In fact, over 35 percent of successful entrepreneurs are dyslexic, compared to 15 percent of the entire population. Serving on the Board of Athena is not just an investment in these children; it’s an investment in the future of innovation.
Located in Palo Alto, Athena is part Hogwarts and part Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. Fictional comparison’s aside, Athena’s teaching methods are based on leading neuroscience research that is revolutionizing how to teach dyslexic children, causing top universities to take note. Despite recently achieving statewide accreditation, Athena remains an up-start, plucky, and unconventional school with a Board that tries to match the administration’s unique charm, vision, and performance.
525 San Antonio AvePalo Alto, CA 94306
May 16, 2022
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Donor Management
- The Board member will attend ~ 10 Board meetings a year (for 2 hours each), as well as committee meetings each month. The board meetings will occur in person in Palo Alto a few times a year.
- Someone with a passion and/or curiosity toward education or dyslexia. We have successful older Board members who have contributed their experience and wisdom, as well as younger members who bring a lot of time/energy and grow into leadership roles.