AmeriCorp Member: Youth Tutor, Mentor, Advocate
6 people are interested
Paterson Community Schools Corps (PCSC), New Jersey Community Development Corporation’s AmeriCorps Program, seeks candidates with a passion for community development, education and youth development. PCSC Members display a desire to serve students and families in high-risk, urban, community-based schools and teen centers, while gaining valuable life and professional experience.
The New Jersey Community Development Corporation (NJCDC) is a non-profit community development and social service agency committed to creating opportunities to transform lives in youth and families. The mission of PCSC is to eliminate barriers to academic achievement and provide new opportunities to transform the lives of Paterson youth and families. Paterson Community Schools Corps (PCSC) AmeriCorps Members serve in local schools and teen centers, as mentors, tutors and leaders in the schools and community. Members provide students with academic support, social and emotional development programming, and family engagement events. Members also enhance existing services, including after school programs and school wide events.
Throughout the year of service, PCSC AmeriCorps members are engaged in countless hours of personal and professional development to prepare them for careers after AmeriCorps. Program alumni have obtained jobs in the following industries: teaching, social work, law and policy, non-profit, public health, government, Peace Corps, and graduate studies.
PCSC Member Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide daily instructional and behavioral support to classroom teachers, including one on one and small group student sessions
- Manage a comprehensive case management system for students requiring additional support in areas such as homework, social/emotional development, personal growth, college applications, etc.
- Encourage students’ academic and personal goal achievement including improved academic outcomes, attendance and behavior
- Plan and implement daily after-school programming for students, including homework help, clubs, trips, service learning projects, and extracurricular activities
- Facilitate academic and youth developmental workshops utilizing community partners and agency resources
- Promote parent and family academic and social engagement by coordinating large scale events for parents and families.
- Build new and strengthen existing partnerships for NJCDC’s Annual Holiday Gift and Food Drive, by acquiring donations and engaging volunteers.
- Coordinate and lead National Days of Service including Make a Difference Day, MLK Day of Service, 9/11 National Day of Service and Global Youth Service Day.
- Maintain current data, including student sign-in sheets, My Service Hour Logs, Apricot data, student pre- and post-surveys
- Maintain professional standards including confidentiality, proper role modeling, and appropriate dress.
- Attend NJCDC and Program site meetings and training sessions
- Attend events and trainings sponsored by the New Jersey Commission on National and Community Service
PCSC Corps Member Benefits:
- Monthly living stipend of up to $1,144 a month before taxes.
- An education award of up to $5,920 at the completion of their term of service
- Loan forbearance on qualified Department of Education loans, and interest payments after the completion of a term of service.
- Health insurance through Cigna’s Corps Network health plan, including health, dental and vision care
- Child Care, if needed
- Up to 21 days of personal/vacation time
- Up to 340 hours of professional development and training
- Bachelor’s degree,
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Pass drug screening, FBI/State background check, NSOPW sex offender check, and Child Abuse Reporting check
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About New Jersey Community Development Corporation
32 Spruce Street, Paterson, NJ 07501, US
Our mission is to inspire and empower people in need with opportunities to transform their lives.
NJCDC is a private, non-profit social service agency located in Paterson , NJ dedicated to education, housing, and community building initiatives.
32 Spruce StreetPaterson, NJ 07505
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Development
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1700 hours of the course of one year-approximately 35-40 hours per week.