Volunteer Career Coach
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Career Coaches are teachers and guides throughout the duration of the Paid Student Internship Program. Coaches also support the students in discovering the best fit for their career goals, assist with placement, and provide follow-up during their internship.
Required Career Coach Skill
- A passion for helping students discover their unique career path
- Create enthusiasm within students for personal and professional excellence
- Have an appreciation for investing in young people to better the community
- Understand the relationship between student career development and business
- Able to create a teaching-by-doing learning method
- Foster an active listening environment
- Advanced writing and editing, ideally for resumes and cover letters
- Existing or an interest in learning online document skills (ie. GoogleDocs)
- Participate in training at the beginning of each school year (July/August).
- Participate in quarterly meetings (November, February and May).
- Assist with promoting the Internship Program leading up to the next Coaching Session to students at the following high schools:
- Carpinteria High School
- Rincon High School
- Santa Barbara High School
- La Cuesta Continuation High School
- Alta Vista High School
- San Marcos High School
- Dos Pueblos High School
- Los Robles High School
Conduct interviews to support the selection of the students who will be accepted to participate in the Paid Student Internship Program.
Job Readiness Training
Participate in the following trainings:
Career Coach Activity
Resumes and Cover Letters
Career Coaches assist students in updating their resumes, writing cover letters and placement interests
Career Coaches assist students with group interviews
Career Coaches assist students introducing themselves in networking events and communicating in the workplace
Financial Literacy & Certificate Ceremony
Career Coaches provide final recommendations about the student placements and attend Certificate Ceremony
- Review and comment on students’ resumes and cover letters on a weekly basis
- Communicate schedule to Career Coach Team Leader
Career Coaches support students to choose their top three potential placements, and assist the Internship Program Associate in finding placements for the students.
Career Coaches meet with the Team Leader to discuss their interns’ potential placements progress, as well as periodically checking in with their students after they have been placed with companies to review how well the students’ internship goals and expectations are being met.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
3970 La Colina Road, Suite 1Santa BarbaraSanta Barbara, CA 93110
- Literacy / Reading
- Youth Services
- Reading / Writing
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- We ask that Career Coaches commit to coaching a full year (September - May) for a total of approximately 60 hours (15-20 hours per session).
- Must submit proof of negative TB and complete a live scan.