Internship: Shelter Advocate
5 people are interested
Provides crisis services to victims of domestic violence/sexual assault
- Answers crisis hotline and TTY calls: provides information and referral as needed to help caller explore available options
- Assesses calls for imminent danger and potential admission into domestic violence shelter
- Conducts client screenings and intakes; completes initial paperwork and client documentation as necessary
- Provides support, crisis intervention, assurance, advocacy and guidance to families residing within the emergency shelter in a calm manner
- Assists residents to ensure a safe communal living environment, which is to include compliance with house guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Coordinates services to meet resident’s needs for clothing, toiletries, medication and transportation, providing proper documentation of distribution of these forms of assistance.
- Under supervision, provides case management to at least 2 shelter clients/families per semester
- Adheres to safety standards established by liveSAFE Resources.
- Responds to any emergency situations that may arise; notifying supervisors, directors and emergency personnel as directed.
- Maintains strict confidentiality regarding client information
- Background Check/Fingerprint Check
- Good listening and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Successful completion of required training program
- Minimum age of 18
- Approximately 20 hours of initial training to include: domestic violence, sexual assault, active listening, crisis intervention skills, policies & procedures
- Additional orientation and training session with program director or staff member specifically covering how to answer the crisis hotline
- Approximately 40 hours of online Victim’s Assistance Training
We'll work with your schedule.
Confidential LocationConfidential, GA 30064
- Crisis Intervention
- Data Entry
- Case Work / Management
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Social Work
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Shelter operates 24/7. Advocates will be needed on evenings, weekends and possibly holidays. Schedule will be flexible.