Literacy Tutor/Middle School/Grand Concourse Bronx/2-3 hrs per week/Tue-Fri 3-5pm
6 people are interested
The City Tutors (CT) is looking for tutors to provide academic support in reading and writing for students at Bronx Lacrosse's academic support program at PS 218 Rafael Hernandez Dual Language Magnet School for the Fall 2019 semester. Tutors will work with students one on one and in small groups on on Mondays after school from 3-4pm or any day Tuesday - Fridays after school from 3pm-5pm.
This a great opportunity for:
- working professionals who wish to support their community
- students who are majoring (or who have recently graduated) in the course area and who wish to enhance their content knowledge and/or grow their professional experience
In this role, you would take the lead to improve students’ performance while being supported and guided by City Tutor’s coordinators.
The tutor for Bronx Lacrosse is expected to commit a minimum of two hours support each week. You would identify and support students who are struggling, and provide feedback to students so that they may improve their fundamental understanding of the material. You might also design assignments, identify/track students who are struggling and create differentiated instruction as the need arises. You will be supported throughout this process by the City Tutors staff.
All tutors are also expected to complete a four session comprehensive, professional training regimen. 6 hours of live training, plus another hour and a half for orientation. This is a commitment of 7.5 hours of in person training, and 4 hours of supplemental training for a total of 11.5 hours of training over the course of the Fall semester. If you have prior educational or tutoring experience, only 4.5 hours of the training is necessary.
Training days will be determined based on your schedule and that of the Tutor Training Coordinators.
CT's tutoring program has been successful in helping students gain access to support that they otherwise would not have received, given their limited time spent on campus. Having tutors in these sessions early in the semester will allow us to employ strategies to reduce withdrawals and student failure rates. Your work with us would help the students’ overall subject area performance, and help us improve this educational support model, reaching more students and departments with comprehensive academic support.
To apply, you must:
- Have received an A- or A in the introduction to the subject course you are applying to tutor
- Have a GPA at or above 3.2, or have completed a degree program
- Submit monthly reports, keep a log sheet of any tutoring appointments done outside of class, and regularly communicate with the tutor training coordinator.
Learn more about Bronx Lacrosse here:
We'll work with your schedule.
1220 Gerard AveBronx, NY 10452
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- 2 hours per week
- 11.5 hours of training (4 hours of live training if you have prior tutoring/educational experience)