Medical Center Aide, Charlotte Hall Clinic - Veterans Affairs (VA)
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Help veterans and their families with daily medical needs! Volunteer with the Red Cross.
Various roles within this volunteer opportunity, supporting theCharlotte Hall Clinic, VA.
Have the chance to perform some of the following duties. See which relates to you, and request a specific role during your onboarding process.
- Greeter: Give welcome, get wheelchairs, give direction
- Patient Escort: Assist veteran directly to clinic or ancillary service
- Refreshment Cart Support: Hand out coffee and snacks
- Clinical Administrative Assistant: Make calls giving appointment reminders, mailing lab results, answering the phone, etc.
- Information Desk Clerk: Assist with questions and directions
- My Healthy Vet Kiosk: Help veterans register for Electronic Health record access
- Check-in Kiosk: Assist veteran with electronically checking-in for appointments and filing for their travel reimbursement
- Pharmacy Assist: Help to check in patients at the kiosk
- Minor Surgery Escort: Escort patients to the ancillary services and to their vehicles after surgery
- Shuttle Service: Drive golf cart to pick up patients from their vehicles
- Volunteer Office Administrative Assistant: Assist with answering the phone, filing, etc
- Ambassador: Assist with questions and directions at the building main entrances.
- Inpatient Experience Liaison: Complete assessments of veteran’s experience on admission and discharge
- Recreation Therapy Assistant: Fishing, art projects, salsa dancing, yoga, music therapy (play or teach how to play, basketball and billiards, BINGO)
- Patient Care Services (companion care): Visit with patients and help at meal times, or play games or visit. At CLC on weekends - make and dispense baked goods
- Hospice House: Same as companions care and help staff make beds and stock supplies
- No Veteran Dies Alone: On-call to be with a veteran in the last moments of life
- Donation room worker: Accept and sort incoming donations and hand out to the veterans Library assistant
- Administrative Assistant: Liaison between the doctor and patient family
- Dining Room Assistant: Help setting up dining room and serving meals
- Library Assistant: Help check out an in books
- Event Worker: Participate in special events such as Senior Prom, Hug a Hero, Homeless Veteran standdown, Motorcycle Porker Run, Christmas bag distribution, etc
Great for pre-medical students, nursing students, retired health professionals, and future community leaders. Gain skills for your future while helping others. Be a part of a rewarding experience!
- Onboarding process often takes 2 - 3 months. Volunteer must be able to commit to at least 1 year of service subsequent to that.
- At least 4 hours/week
- Monday-Friday during business hours. (Training provided by the American Red Cross and the VA.)
Anticipated start date schedule:
- Autumn applicants → Winter start date
- Winter applicants → Spring start date
- Spring applicants → Summer start date
- Summer applicants → Autumn start date
We'll work with your schedule.
Perry Point VAPerry Point, MD 21902
- Office Management
- Customer Service
- Veteran Care
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Onboarding process often takes 2 - 3 months. Volunteer must be able to commit to at least one year of service subsequent to that.
- 14 month commitment total (2 months of training and 1 year of volunteer work), as well as tuberculosis test and some vaccination.