Social Media & PR Volunteer needed to help transform Chicago's waterways into wildlife sanctuaries
2 people are interested
Our mission is to transform urban waterways into wildlife sanctuaries, to provide an opportunity for residents to connect with nature in new, meaningful ways.
We bring together innovators, ecologists, and designers in the urban waterway space from around the world to create truly innovative, wildlife-first destinations. We include local community groups in the design and construction process, so that everyone from students to local businesses plays an active role in making their surrounding world a better place with their own hands and minds. In addition, we run a layer of programming at these destinations that includes everything from elementary school curriculum, to sponsoring graduate school research projects, to organizing conservation-minded volunteer programs for people of all ages.
Urban Rivers has installed 2,000 square feet of floating gardens on the Chicago River and are currently focused on building out the Wild Mile. The Wild Mile will be a mile-long floating eco-park on the North Branch Canal scheduled to open in Spring 2020. Our current objectives are to increase habitat, improve water quality, inspire innovation, and educate the public all while beautifying the Chicago River!
- Write fun and captivating posts to convey our mission to a wider audience
- Updates Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Responds to posts or comments to bring value to user interactions with Urban Rivers
- Posts updates, news and announcements, per agreed upon schedule
- Able to reframe Urban Rivers actions and news so as to engage and produce actions
- Uses Google Analytics as well as FB/ Twitter data to guide post content, timing and frequency
- Organizes and archives digital images and videos
The successful candidate will be:
- Creative self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working collaboratively
- Detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Familiar with mainstream social media platforms
- Available to work minimum 8 hours a week
- Attend training sessions and meetings as scheduled
- Complimentary Park membership
- Annual social events, including the annual Appreciation Dinner
- Quarterly newsletter for volunteers and staff
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter describing your experience and how it applies to this role along with your resume to Volunteer Manager (Alexandra@urbanriv.org). Please send both in a single pdf, named: First Name_Last Name_CV.
We'll work with your schedule.
809 N MADISON STHinsdale, IL 60521
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Minimum 8 hours a week