Female Adult ESL Tutor - Newark Library
6 people are interested
NEW START Adult Learning Program is looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and organized female to teach a female ESL student, Beginners English as a Second Language (ESL), who is requesting a female tutor. Books will be provided and use of a laptop would be helpful. Teaching experience is preferred, but not necessary. Online tutor training sessions are available.
Knowing a second language yourself is not necessary!
Meeting Time: Newark Library; Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday mornings, or Friday mornings.
Time Commitment: At least 60 hours in total.
- Meet once a week for 2 hours. To meet the terms of our grant, tutors need to commit to and students need to attend tutoring sessions for a total of 60 hours. Students are given two tests. First, a placement test will be given to measure their skills when they first enter the program. When they have obtained 60 hours of instructional time they will be tested again to measure the growth of their knowledge. Testing our students is a way to measure quantifiable growth and advancement of their skills. It is also a way for us as teachers and tutors to see what our students know and where they need help.
- Keep track of student attendance hours through Google Sheets or an alternate designated form and make sure they are submitted to the NEW START Main Office at least every two weeks. These hours go into a student database. Based on your student's post-test score after 60 hours of instruction, your student will receive a certificate if they have gained a skill level.
- Help student meet goals put in place by program.
About NEW START Adult Learning Program
115 High Street, P.O. Box 128, Odessa, DE 19730, US
NEW START provides free one-to-one tutoring and small group instruction for adults who want help learning or improving basic skills in reading, writing, and math or for those learning English as a Second Language. Tutors and students meet at community based sites and public libraries throughout New Castle County.
NEW START was founded in 1985 through the efforts of the Corbit-Calloway Memorial Library, Delaware City Library, and Appoquinimink Library. It is a non-profit educational corporation dedicated to helping adults in New Castle County to better their lives and their communities by improving their reading, writing, math and speaking skills. The main office is located at the Corbit-Calloway Memorial Library. The program is funded through grants, corporate and individual contributions, and in-kind services of local libraries and churches. For more information please visit our website. NEW START is an affiliate of ProLiteracy, the largest volunteer-based literacy provider in the United States. It is one of many family programs sponsored by the Corbit-Calloway Memorial Library. We welcome students and volunteers who wish to participate regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disabling condition. For more information on NEW START, contact Susan Trzonkowski at (302) 378-3444 or email email@example.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
Newark Library750 Library AveNewark, DE 19711
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday mornings, or Friday mornings for 2 hours at the Newark Library for at least a total of 60 hours.
- Must be a female (per student request)