Food Pantry Intern
8 people are interested
A wonderful opportunity for you to help those in need living in the Brooklyn area by assisting our Food Pantry Inventory Coordinator.
- Organize, sort and stock donated food items
- Including unloading of pallets, freezers and shelves
- Maintain orderliness and cleanliness of the pantry, storage, and waiting area
- Assisting clients navigate the pantry
About COUNCIL OF PEOPLES ORGANIZATION
1077 CONEY ISLAND AVE, BROOKLYN, NY 11230, US
The Council of Peoples Organization’s (COPO) mission is to assist low income immigrant families, particularly South Asians and Muslims, to reach their full potential as residents of New York City. COPO empowers marginalized communities to advocate for their rights and understand their responsibilities as Americans. It helps to build community relations between Muslim and non-Muslim community groups. It continues to establish connections between the communities and various government agencies
COPO, formerly known as the Council of Pakistan Organization began in the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy. Several business owners in Central Brooklyn responded to the backlash faced by South Asians, particularly Muslims, in the neighborhood. After extensive brainstorming among neighborhood representatives, COPO opened its doors on February 1, 2002 reacting to the crisis facing the affected communities. As a wider cross section of the neighborhood appealed to the organization for assistance our name was changed to COPO to represent all.
Prior to 9/11, the Pakistani community was an isolated and poverty stricken one. The people toiled at below-minimum wages, lived in substandard housing, had limited access to healthcare, and lacked proficiency in English.
Following 9/11, racism, racial profiling, and selective immigration enforcement only added to the woes of the South Asian population. These political and socio-economic factors exacerbated conditions in the already isolated and underserved community. COPO’s formation addressed these issues at a time when almost no community organization was primarily serving low-income South Asians and Muslims in Brooklyn.
1077 Coney Island Ave1st FloorBrooklyn, NY 11230
- Thursday, Friday Half day 9-12, Full day 9-5He
- Great customer service and communication skills. The ability to handle: The stress of a labor intensive job The ability to stand, walk, bend and lift Ability to uphold our standards of client confidentiality Prior experience working in a grocer