Help! Fort Bend TX needs Volunteer Disability Integration Member
American Red Cross - Texas Gulf Coast Region
- Key Responsibilities
* Assessing evacuation and post-evacuation shelters for accessibility and assisting with solutions of noted issues.
* Coordinating with governmental and community partners, other functions and activities to meet the disaster-related access and functional needs of individuals, families, and communities.
* Training disaster operations workforce, including EBVs, on supporting clients and co-workers with disabilities and others with access and functional needs.
* Maintaining clear communication and collaboration with supervisor and peers.
* Providing feedback on disaster impact and community recovery, collecting essential elements of information.
* Providing accurate reporting of disability integration activity as assigned.
- Time Commitment
Time commitment is 8-12 hours per day during times of disaster response for multiple, consecutive days. (In other words, this person is expected to stand up on disaster operations when their local territory is impacted and potentially provide support for regional events.) Time commitment is flexible and varied during "steady state".
* Good organizational skills, responsible, and punctual.
* Active listening skills.
* Ability to implement Standards and Procedures and follow associated job tools including reporting requirements.
* Ability to interact with community members in a clear, compassionate manner.
* Ability to involve appropriate others in managing problems and conflict.
* Commitment to maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of clients.
* Ability to coordinate effectively with governmental and non-governmental partners.
* Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
* Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
* Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
* Ability to drive at daytime and nighttime.
* Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods.
* Ability to lift 20 lbs.
* Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
* Ability to work in extreme heat and/or humidity or extreme cold.
* Ability to speak clearly on phone or in person.
Works successfully with all other team members to successfully complete tasks.
- Length of Appointment Minimum 1 year commitment, renewable. May retain position as long as training is updated and regional engagement criteria is met. Leadership position continuation will be evaluated and discussed at Career Path reviews and based on performance reviews and regional activity
- Development Opportunities Become proficient in Disability Integration entry tasks. Once proficient, career development to supervisory/management positions and ability to go to disaster beyond the region.
* Orientation to the American Red Cross
* Disaster Cycle Services: An Overview
* Everyone is Welcome
* Psychological First Aid
- Purpose The role of the Disability Integration Worker is to serve as a member of a temporary work unit on a disaster relief operation to successfully complete their assigned areas of responsibility on an operations service delivery plan. They ensure that all shelters and other service delivery sites, as well as all programs, services and communications are equally accessible to all clients, including those with disabilities and others with access and functional needs.
About American Red Cross - Texas Gulf Coast Region
2700 Southwest Fwy, Houston, TX 77098, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. La Cruz Roja Americana previene y alivia el sufrimiento humano frente a emergencias movilizando el poder de los voluntarios y la generosidad de los donantes.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things. Todos los días, la Cruz Roja Americana ayuda a las personas en situaciones de emergencia. Ya sea que se trate de una familia desplazada, miles de víctimas de desastres, o brindar atención y consuelo a un miembro del servicio o veterano enfermo o lesionado o apoyo a un miembro de la familia militar, nuestro trabajo vital es posible gracias a personas como usted. Es a través del tiempo y el cuidado de la gente común que podemos hacer cosas extraordinarias.