Venture Consultant - School Without Walls
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
What is LearnServe International
LearnServe believes in the power of young people to create change, and the power of changemaking to shape young leaders. LearnServe students are challenged to imagine creative solutions to local and global social problems. They develop business, leadership, and social-emotional skills that allow them to translate ideas into action through tackling social challenges at home and abroad.
Imagine a world in which all young people learned how to tackle social challenges with entrepreneurial ventures before they graduated high school. How can an education in social innovation transform the next generation of young leaders? Through the Seeding Social Innovation program, LearnServe equips middle and high school teachers with curriculum and technical support they need to bring social entrepreneurship into the classroom.
Venture Consultants provide additional support to teachers and their students by further helping to plant the seeds of social innovation during the school day. They bring additional perspectives, experience, energy and thought to help students grow their ideas. By bringing external support into the classroom volunteers strengthen and validate the student experience.
Over the course of the school year, Venture Consultants visit classrooms monthly, for 1-2 hours during the school day, and advise student teams at pivotal moments in their venture design process. LearnServe pairs Venture Consultants with participating middle and high schools to work directly with students and teachers.
Volunteers may help students to:
- Frame their problem and research questions.
- Ideate to craft innovative and realistic solutions.
- Refine their venture pitch.
Before Your Venture Consultant Session:
- First time volunteers will be trained.
- Your organization will receive an email connecting you with the teacher you will be working with.
- Sign and turn in the Media Release Form to Lauren@learn-serve.org .
On The Day of Venture Consultant Session:
- Ensure that you have photo ID and materials to take notes.
- Arrive at your Session 10-15 minutes early.
- Sign in at the Main Office of the building designating yourself as a LearnServe volunteer.
Wear the nametag given to you by the office.
After your Venture Consultant Session:
- Fill out the Seeding Social Innovation Volunteer Assessment From.
- Fill out the Teacher Feedback Form.
- LearnServe Volunteer Training - Monday March 18th at WeWork Wonderbread in Shaw
- Wednesday March 6th, 10:15am - 11:45pm
- Wednesday April 4th, 10:15am - 11:45pm
Tracking/ Materials/ Forms
- Media Release Form
- Background Check
- Mid Year Survey
- End of Year Survey
To Be Successful!! :
- Ensure that you have photo ID and materials to take notes
- Arrive at yourSession 10-15 minutes early
Fill out the Venture Consultant application at http://learn-serve.org/our-community/volunteers/
Person of Contact
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Lauren Jordan at Lauren@learn-serve.org .
School Without Walls High School2130 G St NW, Washington, DC 20037Washington, DC 20037
- Business Development
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours a month