Computer Help Desk
20 people are interested
The Ladies Improvement Association founded the Delray Beach Public Library in 1913. In 1938 the Delray Beach Public Library Association became a not-for-profit corporation to provide a public library in Delray Beach. Since 1950, our patrons have received library service through a successful public/private partnership between the City of Delray Beach and the Library Association. The City of Delray Beach has provided a large percentage of the annual operating budget and the Library Association has raised capital funds.
The Delray Beach Public Library exists to enrich the lives of the individuals of Delray Beach’s diverse communities by creating and sustaining superior public library services through responsive staff, dynamic collections, appropriate technology, effective programming and access to global information. Our Vision is to become the best public library in Florida.
This is a volunteer, entry level position in the Library where individuals may have limited or no directly related work experience. The Reference Services Team interacts with hundreds of patrons a day, providing a lasting impression of the Library. Therefore, volunteers need to be very willing to convey the value of library resources, including books, technology, programs and services. Excellent customer skills are essential so that every patron they encounter has a positive experience. As a 21 st century learning library environment it is expected that this individual be comfortable using technology including computers, databases, apps, and other software. As a volunteer for the Reference Team this individual will be asked by the public to easily demonstrate new technologies on the fly. The volunteer needs to be detail-oriented and precise. A professional, responsive, and flexible approach to work is essential.
Volunteer Task Summary: Performs direct customer service duties at the Public Computer Help Desk involving assistance and instruction related to the use of the library’s 30 public computers. Training in library-specific software, policies and procedures is provided.
- Assists and instructs library patrons in the use of library computers related to MS Office 2016 applications, email, software, electronic resources and general internet applications.
- Assists guest patrons logging into the public computers using a guest access card.
- Assists patrons with the print management system, copier and scanner/fax machine.
- Assists library users in connecting to the public wi-fi network with wireless mobile devices and laptop computers.
- Assists patrons with the Self-Checkout Kiosk.
- Answers basic questions regarding computer usage.
- Troubleshoots minor software problems.
- Assists reference staff in opening and locking study rooms for library patrons.
- Assist librarians as-needed on special projects.
- Performs other related duties and technology-related projects as needed. Ability to work with a diverse community.
Minimum Qualifications: Minimum age for volunteering in this position is 18. Background in customer service is preferred. Commitment to the equality and diversity of the local community.
- MS Office 2016, printing, Internet browsers, Cloud Computing, and e-mail, personal computers, peripherals, and portable devices.
- Current office equipment such as copiers, scanners, fax machines, etc.
- Proper English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Communicate effectively and interact pleasantly with library patrons.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Learn basic library services and functions
- Demonstrates patience and understanding when interacting with patrons.
- Enjoy working with people, and working as part of a team.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Adapt to changes in work procedures.
Physical Requirements: Requires the ability to exert a small amount of physical effort in sedentary to light work involving prolonged sitting, walking or moving from one area of the building to another, and standing for periods of time. Requires sufficient hand/eye coordination to perform semi-skilled repetitive movements, such as keyboarding and/or use of other office equipment. May require sufficient strength and coordination for lifting, pushing, and/or carrying the weight of smaller office equipment, files, or supplies. Requires bending and/or stooping in order to plug power cords into outlets or retrieve objects.
Please contact, Isabella Rowan, volunteer manager, via email for more information and to receive a volunteer application at firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
100 West Atlantic AvenueDelray Beach, FL 33444
- Basic Computer Skills
- Google Apps
- Internet Research
- Microsoft Office Suite
- PC Platform
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Minimum of 3 to 4 hours per week depending on one (1) of the following shifts: AM Shift 9-1PM - Mondays through Saturdays PM Shift 1-5PM – Mondays through Sundays Evening Shift 5-8PM – Monday through Wednesdays Three (3) to six (6) months minim
- Computer Help Desk environment located on the Public Computers area of the 2nd Floor Reference Services answering patron questions. Must be able to stand, walk, reach, bend while assisting patrons with computers.