Family Outreach volunteers needed for Adult Detention Center!
2 people are interested
OAR is ready to launch the Family Outreach desk at the Loudoun Adult Detention Center! We need compassionate, outgoing volunteers to help us get it off the ground.
The primary intention of the program is to connect with family and friends of inmates to listen, encourage and provide basic information about OAR programs.
The time commitment is 1 shift per week during visitation hours at the Loudoun ADC.
The current available time slots are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 7-9PM.
OAR's general requirements for volunteers are as follows:
- Minimum age of 21
- Non-judgmental attitude toward offenders and their family members
- No substance abuse issues within the last 2 years
- Incurred no arrests, convictions, incarceration probation or parole within the past 2 years
We currently run classes at the Loudoun ADC for Life Skills, Employability Skills, Anger Management, MoneySmart, and Fatherhood. We also offer case management for those who are sentenced with a release date within 3-4 months. A big part of the Family Outreach program is talking to those who are visiting their loved ones to let them know about the opportunities that can take advantage of while they're incarcerated and after their release. We hope to offer a Family Support group at our office soon, and so talking to folks during visitation hours can let them know that there's a forum for them to talk with people who are going through similar situations, and to learn more about how to deal with a loved one being incarcerated, healthy vs. unhealthy ways to support them, barriers to navigate after release, etc.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Engaging visitors
- Listening to visitor stories
- Suggesting and sharing OAR brochure/program information
- Answering questions
- Recording hours in the log book
- Checking and restocking the brochure racks
- Setting-up and cleaning-up the lobby desk area
Thanks for your time!
42035 Loudoun Center PlLeesburg, VA 20175
- Legal (General)
- Conflict Resolution
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hour evening shift, once a week
- Minimum age: 21. No exceptions