8 people are interested
Mercy Heritage Center seeks a creative and dynamic individual to become part of its volunteer team. The candidate will work directly with the MHC staff in organizing, inventorying, and cataloging library materials of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, as well as other related projects. Using the OPALS database according to established practices, this person will create records in order to share the collection with both Mercy audiences and related researchers. Optional projects may include a library display for the Research Room. While previous experience cataloging isn't necessary, a basic understanding of library classification and catalog systems is helpful. We can train to the rest.
The ideal volunteer for this project will be:
- Organized and have an attention to detail.
- Motivated, a problem solver.
- Familiar with library classification systems, particularly Dewey.
- Familiar with library catalog systems, including OPALS.
- Able to work independently and take direction; willingness to ask questions.
- Able to lift 25 pounds and push a book cart.
- Experienced in Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in written and oral communications.
- Knowledgeable in 19 th and 20 th century U.S. history.
Volunteers are invaluable to Mercy Heritage Center as they enable us to do work that would not otherwise be possible, and often contribute special skills and knowledge. Working with volunteers provides an opportunity for Mercy Heritage Center to engage on a deeper level with some of our key audiences, and increase mutual understanding of our activities as a cultural heritage repository.
Available hours to volunteer are from Monday-Thursday, 9-5PM and Fridays from 9-4PM.
We'll work with your schedule.
720 Heritage Center PlaceMercy Heritage CenterBelmont, NC 28012
- Library Sciences
- Exhibition Arts
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- At least 4 hours a week.