Love books? Get up close and personal by helping us shelve!
16 people are interested
Shelving books and making sure they are in the proper places on the shelves is one of the most important tasks within any library. A substantial amount of books are returned to the library each day, and the longer it takes to shelve them, the less likely they are to be checked out again. When books either aren't getting shelved or are shelved improperly, it becomes more difficult for our patrons (and staff) to find them.
However, with so many more books than staff, it is not unusual for us to get behind on shelving. This is where you come in.
As a volunteer Library Page, you will be responsible for:
- Shelving and sorting books and other library materials by putting them in alphabetical and numerical order and utilizing the Dewey Decimal System (training provided)
- Assisting patrons with locating library materials
- Helping to maintain the general organization and cleanliness of the library by picking up and straightening books and other library materials, pushing in chairs, shelf-reading, and other miscellaneous tasks
- Helping staff to locate missing and requested items, pulling damaged items from the shelves, and any other library circulation-related tasks as necessary
- Provide great customer service to a diverse range of individuals of all ages and backgrounds
- Conduct themselves in a professional, friendly, and patient manner at all times
- Follow oral and written directions
- Push, pull, and lift up to 40 pounds of weight
- Stoop, bend, and engage in repetitive motion
We'll work with your schedule.
700 E. Palmdale Blvd.Palmdale, CA 93550
- Literacy / Reading
- Library Sciences
- Customer Service
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- One two-hour shift one day a week during the library's hours of operation (M-Th 10 am-8 pm, F & Sat 10 am-5 pm, Sun 1-5 pm)
- Must be organized, have attention to detail, and be willing to work independently