96 people are interested
Love books? Get up close and personal by helping us shelve!
ORGANIZATION: Palmdale City Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
96 people are interested
Shelving books and making sure they are in the proper places on the shelves is one of the most important tasks within any library. A substantial amount of books are returned to the library each day, and the longer it takes to shelve them, the less likely they are to be checked out again. When books either aren't getting shelved or are shelved improperly, it becomes more difficult for our patrons (and staff) to find them.
However, with so many more books than staff, it is not unusual for us to get behind on shelving. This is where you come in.
As a volunteer Library Page, you will be responsible for:
- Shelving and sorting books and other library materials by putting them in alphabetical and numerical order and utilizing the Dewey Decimal System (training provided)
- Assisting patrons with locating library materials
- Helping to maintain the general organization and cleanliness of the library by picking up and straightening books and other library materials, pushing in chairs, shelf-reading, and other miscellaneous tasks
- Helping staff to locate missing and requested items, pulling damaged items from the shelves, and any other library circulation-related tasks as necessary
- Provide great customer service to a diverse range of individuals of all ages and backgrounds
- Conduct themselves in a professional, friendly, and patient manner at all times
- Follow oral and written directions
- Push, pull, and lift up to 40 pounds of weight
- Stoop, bend, and engage in repetitive motion
5 More opportunities with Palmdale City Library2 Reviews
About Palmdale City Library
700 E. Palmdale Blvd., Palmdale, CA 93550, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
700 E. Palmdale Blvd.Palmdale, CA 93550
March 17, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Library Sciences
- Customer Service
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- One two-hour shift one day a week during the library's hours of operation (M-Th 10 am-8 pm, F & Sat 10 am-5 pm, Sun 1-5 pm)
- Must be organized, have attention to detail, and be willing to work independently