Adult Literacy Tutor
10 people are interested
Adult Literacy Library Volunteer
Importance of Assignment: Opportunity to make a huge difference to an adult whose limited literacy is a challenge in his/her everyday life.
Description: Under the direction of the Adult Literacy Coordinator, assists adult Learners in developing confidence in reading and writing skills.
- Desire to help someone else.
- Comfortable reading, writing, and speaking English. No prior teaching experience needed.
- Punctual, friendly, patient, optimistic, and dependable.
- Relates well to a variety of people.
- Comfortable using computers.
- Be Learner centered --- help Learners achieve their goals for improving their basic skills in order to support their roles as family members, workers, and community members
- Once matched, contact Learner to arrange initial meeting and to set time and place for future instructional meetings
- Meet a minimum of one hour per week with Learner
- Prepare for lessons
- Maintain monthly Tutor report log
- Attend scheduled workshops for updates, instruction ideas, and sharing successes and concerns
- Notify Coordinator if for any reason you stop meeting with Learner
Location: To be determined by you and your Learner
Training Provided: An initial in-person orientation/training at Main Library and Learner specific online training modules. Supplemental materials and workshops available throughout the year. Phone, e-mail, in-person consultation with Adult Literacy Coordinator as needed.
Hours: Commitment to work at least 3 hours a week for 1 year.
Application Process: All volunteers must complete and return the required application and attend an in-person interview which will include a written exam. Volunteers age 18 and over are required to pass a fingerprint background check available at the police department.
Volunteers work at the will of the library and may be released at any time.
Contact person: If interested, please email a completed Volunteer Application to the Volunteer Services Librarian at email@example.com.
Volunteer applications are available at:
We'll work with your schedule.
200 W. Broadway AveLong Beach, CA 90802
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Hours: Commitment to work at least 1-3 hours a week for a total of 50 hours.