139 people are interested
Adult Literacy Tutor
ORGANIZATION: Long Beach Public Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
139 people are interested
Adult Literacy Library Volunteer
Importance of Assignment: Opportunity to make a huge difference to an adult whose limited literacy is a challenge in his/her everyday life.
Description: Under the direction of the Adult Literacy Coordinator, assists adult Learners in developing confidence in reading and writing skills.
- Desire to help someone else.
- Comfortable reading, writing, and speaking English. No prior teaching experience needed.
- Punctual, friendly, patient, optimistic, and dependable.
- Relates well to a variety of people.
- Comfortable using computers.
- Be Learner centered --- help Learners achieve their goals for improving their basic skills in order to support their roles as family members, workers, and community members
- Once matched, contact Learner to arrange initial meeting and to set time and place for future instructional meetings
- Meet a minimum of one hour per week with Learner
- Prepare for lessons
- Maintain monthly Tutor report log
- Attend scheduled workshops for updates, instruction ideas, and sharing successes and concerns
- Notify Coordinator if for any reason you stop meeting with Learner
Location: To be determined by you and your Learner
Training Provided: An initial in-person orientation/training at Main Library and Learner specific online training modules. Supplemental materials and workshops available throughout the year. Phone, e-mail, in-person consultation with Adult Literacy Coordinator as needed.
Hours: Commitment to work at least 3 hours a week for 1 year.
Application Process: All volunteers must complete and return the required application and attend an in-person interview which will include a written exam. Volunteers age 18 and over are required to pass a fingerprint background check available at the police department.
Volunteers work at the will of the library and may be released at any time.
Contact person: If interested, please email a completed Volunteer Application to the Volunteer Services Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer applications are available at:
About Long Beach Public Library
200 W. Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
200 W. Broadway AveLong Beach, CA 90802
March 30, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Hours: Commitment to work at least 1-3 hours a week for a total of 50 hours.