Help a visually-impaired family in Marlborough (car needed)
DONATE TO THIS
8 people are interested
Do you live in or around Marlborough? Are you interested in making a difference in the life of a blind family in your neighborhood? Do you have a car you'd be willing to use to help with errands and activities?
As a part of MABVI’s Volunteers for Vision program, you’ll assist a blind family (interacting with just the parents, though you'll help the whole family!) by assisting them to run errands, go shopping and read.
Please note that while a car is needed for this opportunity, we have other listings available that do not require a car, just ask us!
Why Volunteer with MABVI?
- 90% of our current volunteers feel they are doing significant work
- 98% of our volunteers say volunteering with us gives them a sense of accomplishment
- 99% would recommend the volunteer program to their family and friends
What will you gain from the role?
- A chance to make a difference
- Experience working with people with sight loss
- A sense of achievement
- A new friend
What skills and experience are needed?
- An easy-to-understand voice
- Good communication skills
- The ability to treat information confidentially
- Patience and a good sense of humor!
What support will be given?
- One-time volunteer training in our Brookline Office
- Support and guidance from our staff
- Volunteer events throughout the year
When will you be needed?
Once a week or biweekly for about two hours for each session.
About Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
200 Ivy Street, Brookline, MA 02446, US
Established in 1903, the Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (MABVI) is the oldest program in the country providing services to adults with vision loss. Helen Keller served on our first advisory board. MABVI is dedicated to empowering individuals to live with dignity. We provide access to a full range of sight loss services and help reduce fears and isolation caused by vision loss. With offices in Brookline and Worcester, we serve more than 7,000 blind and visually impaired individuals every year. MABVI is a program of MAB Community Services.
Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired offers a number of services.
In our COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM, volunteers work one-to-one with visually impaired adults in their community, assisting with reading or shopping.
In each of our 33 peer-led SUPPORT GROUPS, individuals gather to share challenges and resources.
Elders with low vision can work with one of our VISION REHABILITATION SPECIALISTS to learn strategies for living with limited or no vision. Special focus on reading and writing, magnification, lighting, diabetes management, home safety and daily activities.
We'll work with your schedule.
Opportunities throughout MAMarlborough, MA 01752
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours a week or biweekly; we're flexible!