YWCA Teen Leadership Program
6 people are interested
About the YWCA Teen Leadership Program:
The YWCA Teen Leadership offers programs to El Paso youth ages 11 to 17. Programs focus on character development, healthy decision making, positive self-esteem, and other life skills. Youth engage in volunteerism, community service, racial justice and leadership initiatives.
The Community Youth Development Program (CYD) is grant funded in partnership with El Paso Human Services, Inc. The grant works with youth living or going to school in the 79924-zip code in Northeast El Paso to provide both school-based programs and summer camps. These programs encourage youth to stay in school and develop strong life skills.
The United Way of El Paso supports the Teen Leadership Program through service learning opportunities which foster the spirit of volunteerism and service among El Paso teens. Youth learn about how they can make a difference in their community and engage in projects that they develop with other youth to address area needs.
Target Population: The 79924 zip code is one of 15 highest zip codes in Texas for juvenile crime with the target population of the program being at-risk/underserved youth.
- In coordination with Teen Leadership staff, assist in planning and organizing teen programs, training, events and activities.
- Participates and assists with youth in Teen Leadership events and activities.
- Promotes Teen Leadership initiatives in schools and to other community organizations. Informs the public and potential participants of program activities by means of news media via the Marketing Department, contacts, speaking engagements, and dissemination of posters and fliers.
- Assist in moving and organizing heavy items in Teen Leadership storage.
- Follows all YWCA policies and procedures, including safety procedures always.
- May perform other tasks as needed by Teen Leadership staff.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Submit volunteer application
- Submit to a background check prior to placement through YWCA and with El Paso Human Services for Community Youth Development grant
- Receive clearance of all background checks submitted
- Must be friendly, patient and understanding
- Must have at least one-year experience working with youth ages 10-17
- Suggested Majors/ Backgrounds: Education, social work, or related fields
- Have good communication skills, and practice confidentiality
- Must be able to travel to various locations
- YWCA Independence House (Joyce Jaynes Branch, Central El Paso)
- Various locations in the 79924 zip code (Northeast El Paso)
- Other community venues
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required
- The Teen Leadership program hosts and participates in various events and activity camps throughout the fiscal year. Some events include:
- In-class programming (Ranges from 1- 3 hours per day)
- After school programming (Ranges from 1-2 hours per day)
- Spring break camp (Ranges from 3-4 hours per day)
- Summer camps (Ranges from 3-4 hours per day)
- Activity days surrounding observed holidays (Ranges from 1-2 hours per day)
- Other community events
We'll work with your schedule.
201 E. MainEl Paso, TX 79901
- Youth Services
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training