Social Media and Marketing Intern
7 people are interested
ABOUT THE IRC:
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health care, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries, with special programs designed for women and children. As one of the IRC’s 24 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1979, the San Jose office has resettled over 24,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
SCOPE OF WORK: Through incisively written communication and careful networking skills, the Social Media Intern will work alongside the Volunteer Coordinator in managing IRC’s outreach and communication efforts. The intern will develop creative ways of explaining the IRC’s presence within the San Jose community by way of social media platforms. Learn and perfect critical marketing, public relations and administrative skills applicable in both the for-profit and nonprofits sectors while contributing to meaningful social change.
This position reports to the Volunteer & Donations Coordinator
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Work-related driving would be reimbursed.
- Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than 2 years post-graduation. Course credit is available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- 15+ hours per week for a minimum of 4-6 months, with a courtesy notice of 2 weeks prior to leaving the organization.
- Hours can be completed during normal business hours of Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Weekend hours may also be required for events and training.
- IRC is committed to working with student schedules. We will accommodate time off necessary for midterms and school holidays, and altering weekly schedules to adapt to changing class schedules.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with the development and creation of IRC San Jose’s media and outreach materials.
- Provide content for IRC Northern California Facebook and Twitter pages along with any other social media platforms used to increase the organization’s online presence.
- Supervise social media content by responding to comments and inquires as well as monitoring postings and activates made by followers.
- Find new and creative ways to increase IRC’s presence within the San Jose Community
- Research relevant outreach opportunities for IRC San Jose to take part in such as festivals, community events, and school and health fairs.
- Assist with the creation and publication of IRC San Jose’s monthly newsletter
- Other duties as assigned.
We require that candidates have the following qualities:
- Excellent computing skills and knowledge of social media platforms and web design. Self- starter with ideas for how to effectively utilize technology in the office.
- Strong writing and communication skills; the job will entail editing and create material such as newsletters, flyers, and web content.
- Strong interpersonal skills: the ability to work effectively with clients, partners, and colleagues in a cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively.
Complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter in a single PDF file to the application. Please tailor your cover letter to the position to which you are applying and include the following:
- Up to 3 positions of interest, ranked in order of preference
- Time availability for your internship, i.e. the number of hours you are available each week, specific days and times, and your anticipated start and end dates for interning
- Immediate interview availability, if different from internship availability
- Any requirements for filing your internship for school credit, e.g. total number of hours to be completed or filing deadline
For more information on the application process and timeline, visit our internships page.
1210 S Bascome Ave227San JoseSan Jose, CA 95128
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 15+hrs a week