Weekday Afternoon Food Rescuer (Stipend Included!)
DONATE TO THIS
30 people are interested
In 2018 Rescuing Leftover Cuisine rescued one million pounds of food and delivered it to the NYers most in need! We are actively looking to help more homeless shelters and soup kitchens in 2019 and eagerly need passionate, committed volunteers to become Core Rescuers that can take lead on several of our weekday afternoon pickups. As a Core Rescuer, you will commit to a four month schedule of 5 food rescue events each week.
We have weekday afternoon food rescue events all across Manhattan and Brooklyn, and you can see all food rescue events on this easy-to-access calendar.
Each event lasts 30-45 minutes, either on your own or with a small group - it’s your choice. Deploy the training we provide, your NYC street smarts, problem solving and communication skills to make sure the food is safely delivered to human service agencies across the city.
· Reduce waste and help NYers most in need
· Maintain friendly relationships with partner food donors and recipients
· Carry bags of food, or use a cart we provide to transport food to homeless shelters
· Lead 5 food rescue events per week (about 5hrs/week), for 4 months
Who you are:
· Responsible; we are looking for punctual and committed individuals
· Strong communication skills, able to communicate quickly and clearly with RLC staff
· Team-player; thoughtful about how your actions will affect the team
· Problem solver; ability to think on your feet and improvise in case of unplanned events
Once training is complete you will receive a stipend of $121 per month, representing an unlimited monthly MetroCard for each month of your volunteer commitment. You can also receive an additional $8 per pickup for any extra weekly food rescue events beyond your commitment of 5 events per week.
We'll work with your schedule.
25 BroadwayNew York, NY 10004
- Environmental Policy
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours per week for a 4 month period.