- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Renewable Energy Internship
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Are you interested in or have relevant knowledge/experience in renewable energy systems? Come to northern Peru to help us implement sustainable environmental technology and improve the livelihoods of the local community!
Early in 2016, EcoSwell installed a state-of-the-art photovoltaic energy system at the Community Hall of the Lobitos Artisanal Fishermen's Association, as one of the objectives of a successful crowdfunding campaign. This system is currently powering the Community Hall in the middle of the Primavera neighbourhood, the main fishermen's neighbourhood in Lobitos. As a result, the Community Hall has turned into a centre where the inhabitants can access free, clean and renewable energy, especially during the occasional blackouts from the grid which unfortunately happen in Lobitos. The project has also reduced the Fishermen Association's electricity bill, greatly reducing their operating costs and generating important savings for the organization.
We are developing this project even further still by implementing further renewable energy systems in the community. For example, we have initiated:
- Solar powered aeroponics for fruit and vegetable farming in Lobitos.
- Wind energy powered water provision for Lobitos’ medical post.
- Solar distillers for access to desalinated seawater.
A typical day on this project may include:
- Designing renewable energy solutions.
- Leading research on what could be done and come up with relevant solutions.
- Getting involved in project planning and management.
- Getting involved in the actual installation work.
- Obtaining energy-usage data from the inverter in order to calculate and produce CO2 emissions reductions reports from the use of clean energy instead of the grid.
The work day will typically range from 9am to 6pm (with a lunch break) five days a week with plenty of free time opportunities to go surfing, fishing, swimming with turtles or simply watching the sunset on the beach. All accommodation and fresh, healthy food is included in the financial contribution.
- Relevant academic background.
- Genuine interest in sustainable development.
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Experience working away from home.
- Spanish language skills are desirable.
- Ability to be flexible.
Villa de Oficiales 270, Barrio Centro, Lobitos, Piura 20820, PE
Our mission is to design and develop socio-environmental, educational and infrastructure projects with the purpose of guiding the development of semi-rural localities in the north of Peru through the path of a sustainable development, increasing the quality of life of their inhabitants.
We are a surfing-inspired NGO operating in Lobitos, a small town on the northern coast of Peru. EcoSwell was established in 2013 by a multidisciplinary team of young professionals who have a passion for the development and well-being of Peru's vulnerable population and ecosystems. Since then, EcoSwell has positively impacted entire communities through immersive, bottom-up projects with the valued help of international volunteers, sponsors and the local people. Not only have we designed and built sustainable engineering solutions such as dry toilets, a solar distiller and irrigation systems, but we have also contributed to the empowerment of women and their families through educational programmes and workshops. We aspire to continue working closely with local communities to keep growing and expanding our impact across poorer parts of the region.
We are currently working on a diverse range of projects which we consistently need volunteer help with. The internships that we offer include:
- Eco Tourism
- Sanitation Initiatives and Waste Management
- Renewable Energy
- Surfonomics/World Surfer Reserve Research
- Medical Electives
EcoSwellVilla de Oficiales 270Barrio Centro 20820Lobitos, Piura Peru
March 17, 2022
- System Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Resource Development / Management
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Must be at least 18
- There is a minimum stay of 2 weeks and a maximum stay of 30 weeks.
- There is a financial contribution required for this programme. Please visit the website for further information: http://ecoswell.org/volunteer-contribution.html