Greeter at Monthly Literary Salon
11 people are interested
GREETER - help us expand our community of writers with a friendly smile.
We are a growing literary nonprofit based in Manhattan that offers its volunteers exposure to great writers in intimate settings and the opportunity to meet and mingle with like-minded volunteers.
The Company: Pen Parentis is a growing national nonprofit that helps writers stay on creative track after they start a family. We are known for our amazing Literary Salons and the great care we take with clients and volunteers alike.
- Our Salons are listed in the New Yorker and NY Times
- Our Salons prove by example that having a baby does not affect your talent: parents need time, money, and energy-but their talent level is unaffected by starting a family. Given the resources, writers who are parents can achieve greatness.
- Our core values are inclusion, community, professionalism, and balance. If you can stand behind these values, we would love to bring you onto our volunteer team.
The Position: We’re looking for an extra greeter or two. Our Salons are the second Tuesday of each month, September through May. Ideally you are free from 6:30pm that night until 9:30pm. We are looking to add one or two upbeat, interesting people to our volunteer team, to function as substitutes for our regular team. You do not have to be a writer or a parent to enjoy this people-forward position, though this opportunity would be perfect for writers or those who want to explore that possibility!
- We offer great exposure - particularly in the publishing field and among writers.
- We also are loyal! We write great reference letters and are enthusiastic about our best volunteers.
- Detail oriented. Enthusiastic. Good communicators.
- Greeters are our first contact with audiences - we are an upbeat, inclusive, friendly yet professional brand. Greeters take down names and email addresses and welcome the audience member to the salon.
- Sometimes before or during events, we need help putting up signs or handing out flyers, running raffles, and other small tasks.
- Initially, we are looking for a person to learn the ropes and attend Salons once per month getting to know the job and the team. We try to pair up volunteers in teams of two or three - you should have fun as well as help us out! You will be greeting guests as they come in the door (this might be standing or seated) and getting their names and email addresses, and checking to see if they have donated. Know the readers and the VIPs to some extent, to welcome them. Throughout the rest of the event, you are welcome to watch and mingle-be available for questions about Pen Parentis and about the facilities. Direct any stumpers to someone senior.
The Location: Pen Parentis is headquartered in Lower Manhattan in New York, NY. Our Salons are currently located in the Hideout at Killarney Rose - entrance on 80 Beaver Street. Please be advised there is a long flight of stairs from the street to the Hideout.
Why Should You Apply?
- You like people and have a great personality.
- You love books and want to inspire writers to stay creative
- You enjoy independence and are great at keeping on task. You think on your feet.
- The idea of meeting famous authors and representing a literary nonprofit makes you grin.
80 Beaver StreetThe Hideout at Killarney RoseNew York, NY 10038
- Office Reception
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 21
- from 6:30 to 9:30 on the second Tuesday of each month, February through May - and again starting in September if you love the work!
- Professionalism, promptness, pleasant public-facing demeanor, return/acknowledge our calls and emails.