STEM & Empowerment (Spanish & English speakers)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
Women on Change (WoC) is a nonprofit organization working to assist girls in 3rd-12th grade become fluent in STEM via mentoring prior to graduation. We have kicked-off our National STEM mentoring program and recruiting mentors, volunteers nationally to support girls & co-ed classrooms in person and virtually.
We are currently recruiting in person volunteers (high need for Spanish speakers) for our elementary school partner Braddock Elementary School.
Volunteers are needed Thursdays: (now - May and Summer Sessions) from 3:45 -5:30pm: for 60 students in grades 3 -5. Mentors will help with basic computer programming, math and literacy, VEXIQ Robotics
What We Need from Volunteers | your passion for helping others, a talent that has helped you succeed that you would enjoy sharing or teaching. Do you like the following?
- Enjoy helping others
- STEM & want to see girls lead their future
- Meeting students where there are and take them beyond their comfort zone in learning math and coding
- Enjoy putting your creativity to work
- Have a positive attitude
- love projects
- A car is a plus
- Not afraid to learn and ask questions, join us!
- Spanish or working with shy students is a huge plus
Requirements | you must be able to pass a background check and available at least once a month
(in person for at least one hour).
- Flexible schedule
- A laptop or IPad is nice to have - not required
- Enjoy coaching others - ability to help students think, collaborate and communicate to have fun!
- Patience to work with students in grade 3-5
- Attend orientation
- A can do attitude working with others
*****How to apply| submit an application online | https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4470072/Women-on-Change-Mentor-Sign-Up**********
*Recruiting is ongoing*
We'll work with your schedule.
7825 Heritage DriveAnnandale, VA 22003
- Math / Science Instruction
- System Engineering
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per month
- bilingual (Spanish is a plus, 90% of the students speak Spanish).