Farm Stand Assistant - Powisset Farm
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
2 people are interested
Powisset’s open fields and cluster of farm buildings make up a scenic, pastoral landscape that is a rare treasure within the Greater Boston area. Given its history of active agricultural use dating back more than 300 years, the farm is an invaluable cultural resource. Today, The Trustees continues that legacy through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at Powisset Farm, along with a vibrant barnyard, farm stand, and teaching kitchen. Currently, The Trustees is seeking a committed Farm Stand Assistant to help during our busy CSA pick-up days.
As a non-profit and a Trustees property, the farm is also committed to a level of community engagement and education that goes beyond agriculture to include community building and support.
Available shifts are:
- Tuesday....................... 1:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Thursday..................... 9:30 am - 7:30 pm
- Saturday...................... 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to the following)
- Coordinate CSA distribution
- Prep for CSA distribution in an attractive yet practical manner including washing vegetable bins, displaying accurate signage, settings limits where necessary, and any other relevant information
- Engage with CSA members in a friendly and efficient manner
- Provide up to date information on Pick-Your-Own garden, upcoming events, new farm stand items, recipes, and cooking tips as needed
- Communicate with farmer and other staff to harvest or fetch vegetables in appropriate locations to prevent contamination by birds/pests/spoilage
- Log volunteer hours
- Must be able to carry 40 lb box/basket
- Standing/Sitting for periods of time
- Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass, paved walkways, stairs
- Minimum age: 16 years old
Position lasts from June to the end of October. Volunteers are requested to commit to a minimum of a regular 1-day a week schedule.
For more information Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
About The Trustees of Reservations, Southeast Region
396 Moose Hill Street, Sharon, MA 02067, US
The Trustees of Reservations preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts.
Who We Are
We are more than 100,000 people like you who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting them, for everyone, forever.
Together with our neighbors, we protect the distinct character of our communities and inspire a commitment to our special places. Our passion is to share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures we care for.
What We Do
We enjoy and care for more than 100 special places - nearly 25,000 acres - all around Massachusetts. And we are actively building an extended family of friends and neighbors across the state that can help in their different ways.
What We Are Up Against
Through more than 100 years of hard work and high standards, The Trustees have built a sterling reputation and a stunning physical legacy.
Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. We need to tap the wellspring of people’s joy - in their communities, their heritage, and the natural world - and mobilize a whole new generation to care.
We'll work with your schedule.
Powisset Farm39 Powisset StDover, MA 02030
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Position lasts from June to the end of October. Volunteers are requested to commit to a minimum of a regular 1-day a week schedule.
- Minimum age of 16