Refugee/Immigration Volunteer Assistants (Lincoln)
28 people are interested
Community Services programs provide high-quality direct support services for refugees, immigrants, asylees and victims of international human trafficking. We are currently seeking volunteers in the following areas:
- Refugees arrive in the United States with very little possessions. As part of Lutheran Family Services’ refugee resettlement program, we help refugees get established in their new community and home.
- We are seeking volunteers to assist families in need by volunteering as personal movers/interior decorators, navigators, mentors, ESL in home mentors, shoppers and transporters.
- Purchase culturally appropriate personal, household, and grocery items on a store account and put them away in the new family's home.
Movers/ Interior Designers:
- Assist with the initial set up of a house or an apartment before refugee(s) arrive. This involves moving in donated furniture and household items and arranging things to make it feel like a home.
- ESL mentors act as a teacher, advocate, and friend. Contact is weekly, coordinated between volunteer and client. Assessment of student is conducted to determine skill level and training is available for volunteers. Experience working in an ESL setting is helpful but not required. No bilingual skills are necessary.
Newly arrived refugees have a number of appointments when they first arrive in Omaha. Refugees have no driver’s license, are unfamiliar with the area and local transportation systems, and need assistance with transportation to and from these appointments.
These appointments may include such things as medical appointments, job interviews, and grocery shopping.
- Assist refugees in learning how to drive and navigate the bus system.
- Sponsor organizations can be volunteers of faith communities, non-profit organizations, businesses, etc. that provide resources and mentoring to newly arrived refugee families in Omaha or Lincoln.
- Omaha groups interested please reach out to Jen Gentle at firstname.lastname@example.org, Lincoln groups please reach out to Ted Blessing at email@example.com.
Walk in Day Aid:
- Assist Lutheran Family Services staff in the International Center of the Heartland during walk-in days. This includes helping refugee clients complete applications for things such as benefits or sorting through mail. Training will be provided and volunteers will work alongside interpreters.
If interested in this program please fill out our Volunteer Application at http://bttr.im/wc1b5
About Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska
124 S. 24th Street, Omaha, NE 68102, US
Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska expresses God’s love for all people by providing quality human care services that build and strengthen individual, family, and community life. Our Vision Safety, hope, and well-being for all people. Volunteer Facebook Portal : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2089521711113842/
Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska is a non-profit, community-based, multi-service human care organization with locations in Nebraska, Council Bluffs Iowa and Wichita. We operate within three core competencies: Children Services, Behavioral Health and Community Services.LFS demonstrates its mission through three broad service areas:
Children Services - expertise in prevention and early intervention programs and permanency and well-being services.
Community Services - expertise in direct support services for refugees, immigrants, asylees and victims of human trafficking.
Behavioral Health - assistance in identifying and treating abusive and addictive behaviors as well as information, support and coping skills.
We'll work with your schedule.
2301 'O' St.Lincoln, NE 68510
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Administrative Support
- Adult Education
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training