Plano - Environmental Health Internship - College Students
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Are you interested in pursuing a meaningful career or volunteer opportunity in environmental health and water quality?
The Environmental Health & Sustainability Department at the City of Plano strives to educate and engage the community through excellent service delivery that protects health and promotes a sustainable environment. Through the work of three Divisions, Environmental Health, Environmental Quality and Sustainability and Environmental Education, the department promotes wellness, works to prevent disease and pollution in the community, and educates and engages our residents in sustainable practices and environmental stewardship. Our vision: Healthy People. Healthy Environment. Sustainable Community.
The Environmental Health & Sustainability Department of the City of Plano is seeking UNPAID interns or volunteers to make a commitment of 5-7 months that will play an integral part in the health of Plano residents.
Main duties may include:
- Involvement in the Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) program by inspecting outfalls in streams and capturing data and photos.
- Involvement in Vector Control by setting and collecting mosquito traps, distributing signage and performing data entry.
Characteristics of a successful intern/volunteer include:
- Enrolled in a university and pursuing degree in environmental science, ecology, biology, life sciences or fishery and wildlife
- Has current TX Driver’s License
- Able commit to 12 day-time hours per week
- Pass a criminal background check
- Ability to drive, walk, stand and navigate natural terrain safely
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in multiple facets of Environmental Health & Sustainability
Why should you pursue this opportunity?
- Association with the City of Plano, rated #1 Best Place to Live in 2018 by Area Vibes
- Opportunity to interface with subject matter experts at multiple levels of our organization
- Exposure to multiple functions of the Environmental Health & Sustainability Department
- Development of critical skills beneficial for a career in environmental health and/or sustainability
- Potential for recommendations at the completion of volunteer period
- Flexible volunteer scheduling that accommodates work, school and life
To learn more and apply, please contact Rebecca Finberg, volunteer resources coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
We'll work with your schedule.
City of Plano1520 K AvenuePlano, TX 75074
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training