ESL Tutor/LIC Area/LaGuardia/Wed-Thurs 5:45 PM - 6:45 PM/Adults
7 people are interested
The City Tutors (CT) is looking for tutors to provide academic support in ESL for L aGuardia Community College’s English Language Center to support adult international and immigrant students. The classes are designed to help improve student’s language skills and assist students in reaching other goals, such as enrolling in college, or living more comfortable in the United States. Tutoring can happen with an evening conversation group or with individual students on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 5:45 PM - 6:45 PM.
This a great opportunity for:
- working professionals who wish to support their community
- students who are majoring (or who have recently graduated) in the course area and who wish to enhance their content knowledge and/or grow their professional experience
The tutor for LaGuardia's English Language Center is expected to support one of the above-mentioned days. You would identify and support students who are struggling, and provide feedback to students so that they may improve their fundamental understanding of the material. You might also design assignments, identify/track students who are struggling and create differentiated instruction as the need arises. You will be supported throughout this process by the City Tutors staff.
All tutors are also expected to complete a four session comprehensive, professional training regimen. 6 hours of live training, plus another hour and a half for orientation. This is a commitment of 7.5 hours of in person training, and 4 hours of supplemental training for a total of 11.5 hours of training over the course of the Fall semester.
Training days will be determined based on your schedule and that of the Tutor Training Coordinators.
CT's tutoring program has been successful in helping students gain access to support that they otherwise would not have received, given their limited time spent on campus. Having a tutor support students early in the semester will allow us to employ strategies to reduce withdrawals and student failure rates. Your work with us would help the students’ overall subject area performance, and help us improve this educational support model, reaching more students and departments with comprehensive academic support.
Learn more about LaGuardia's English Language Center here:
To apply, you must:
- Have received an A- or A in the introduction to the subject course you are applying to tutor
- Have a GPA at or above 3.2, or have completed a degree program
- Submit monthly reports, keep a log sheet of any tutoring appointments done outside of class, and regularly communicate with the tutor training coordinator.
We'll work with your schedule.
31-10 Thomson AveLong Island City, NY 11101
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- 1 hour every week
- 11.5 hours of training (4 hours of live training if you have prior tutoring/educational experience)