Support Group Facilitator (Rocklin Area)
6 people are interested
Support Group Facilitators create a safe, open environment where people share their feelings, thoughts and experiences in a combined effort to better cope with and manage the shared problems of dementia. The goal of Alzheimer's Association support groups is to provide emotional, social and/or educational support to group members. As facilitators, individuals may be responsible for general caregiver, adult children, spouse, gender-specific or language-specific groups.
- Follow expectations and recommendations of the Caregiver Support Group Facilitator Manual, including participation in initial & ongoing training and submission of all required documentation to Chapter.
- Set up, arrange and prepare the room before and after each group.
- Coordinate any speakers/presenters with local chapter staff.
- Encourage participants to provide assistance and emotional support to one another.
- Present pertinent Association materials and information to group members.
- Connect members of the community with additional Association services by proactively making referrals to Alzheimer's Association programs & free 24/7 Helpline.
- Ability to be empathic and separate personal needs from group needs.
- Strong listening and effective communication skills.
- Ability to redirect and facilitate discussion as well as fulfill the duties and responsibilities as described in the Facilitator Agreement.
- Ability to create and maintain a safe environment where participants’ thoughts and feelings are valued and group members are treated with fairness, equity and respect.
- Commitment to promote the mission and services of the Association and willingness to act as an extension of the Association.
- Experience with dementia as a family member or health care professional preferred.
Support Group Facilitators are asked to commit to a 1-year term delivering a monthly group.
If you are interested in this position, please visit volunteer.alz.org to complete our online application or reach out to us using the contact information provided.
We'll work with your schedule.
The Rocklin AreaRocklin, CA 95765
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 1-year commitment; deliver group monthly.