We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring has 7 more opportunities, please check them out.See Opportunities
DONATE TO THIS
54 people are interested
Women Empowering Women : Bigs & Littles NYC's New Initiative!
ORGANIZATION: Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
54 people are interested
COVID -19 UPDATE: PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING AND PROCESSING VOLUNTEERS. WE ARE CONDUCTING PHONE SCREENINGS AND WILL HOLD VIRTUAL INTERVIWS AS WE'VE SUSPENDED ANY IN PERSON MEETINGS TILL FURTHER NOTICE. THE SAFETY AND HEALTH OF ALL OUR VOLUNTEERS AND FAMILIES IS OUR MAIN PRIORITY*
In 2019, Bigs & Littles NYC is excited to announce the Women Empowering Women Initiative, piloting "Mentoring Moms, a women’s empowerment program that strengthens youth outcomes and helps moms/guardians increase their ability to accomplish personal goals around academic and/or career, strengthening relationships and incorporating a healthier life-style for themselves and their families.
If you are a woman who is interested in being a friend, guide and a support to a mother/guardian of a child in our Community Based Mentoring Program then this is the right volunteer opportunity for you!
Join a community who uplifts NYC families!
- The Mentoring Moms program will follow a "community based" model, which provides our matches with the opportunity to participate in a 1:1 relationship. Mentoring Mom and Mentor will meet independently and within the community at-large.
- Overall, there is a 4-hour minimum monthly contact between in-person and phone/email/text, for a minimum of one year.
- Matches will build and maintain their relationship by engaging in weekly phone/email/text contact
- Mentoring Mom will also meet with their Mentor 1-2 times a month, for a minimum of one year.
Requirements for Bigs (Volunteer Mentor):
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Live within the NYC Metropolitan area
- Have a schedule conducive to meet for outings, 1-2 times month, for one year
- Maintain weekly contact with Mentoring Mom to help build relationship
- Maintain communication with Program Manager
- Participate in specialized programming
- Interested in working with a Mentoring Mom
- Bigs are responsible for financing all match outings. The agency encourages low cost activities to both limit the volunteer’s expenses AND to avoid setting unrealistic expectations.
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: BigsLittlesNYC/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x211
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at Bigs & Littles NYC.
About Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring
137 East 2nd Street, New York, NY 10009, US
Founded in 1902, Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring strives to transform the lives of children through one-to-one mentoring, while strengthening entire families in hardship.
In Bigs & Littles NYC’s keystone mentoring program, youth ages 7-19, are carefully matched with a Big Sister or Big Brother who serves as an adviser, role model, and adult friend. Mentoring matches meet twice monthly for activities such as enjoying a show or ballgame, working together on a service project, or spending time talking and exploring NYC. Matches are supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support, and referral assistance as well as a dedicated Professional Program Manager to oversee and guide the match relationship. This mentoring model has been the core of Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring mission for over a century. Our goal is for all young people to be empowered to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential. We know the program works: 100% of our kids avoid pregnancy, 100% avoid arrest, 93% are promoted to the next grade, 100% graduate High School and 100% matriculate into college or a training program.
137 East 2nd Street2nd FloorNew York, NY 10009
May 24, 2022
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 4-hour minimum monthly contact between in-person and phone/email/text, for a minimum of one year.