Board Member - Rise Against Hunger in Nashville
10 people are interested
Rise Against Hunger is an international hunger relief organization that distributes food and life-changing aid to the world's most vulnerable, mobilizing the necessary resources to end hunger by 2030. Our impact results are made possible by a global movement of individuals working together toward a common goal. We are inviting volunteers to help build the movement to end hunger for all and for good by engaging in their local community's efforts.
In cities across the US, passionate volunteers are taking action by joining their local Community Engagement Board. They are working closely with the local Rise Against Hunger staff to identify and execute strategies that will grow the program and increase the impact on ending world hunger. Goals and results include:
Learning more about the global hunger crisis and how Rise Against Hunger is addressing it
- Becoming familiar with riseagainsthunger.org
- Registering on-line to become a hunger advocate
- Following Rise Against Hunger on social media outlets
Increasing the number of meals packaged
- Growing the number of meals packaged in their location by introducing new faith, corporate, civic, and educational partners to the meal packaging volunteer event.
- Encouraging current partners to increase the number of events or number of meals packaged in scheduled
- Identifying potential Event Support Specialists to increase the number of events that can be managed
Increasing the number of speaking engagements
- Introducing Rise Against Hunger staff to civic clubs, faith groups, and others who are looking for a speaker to bring a meaningful
- Encouraging colleges and universities, and public and private schools to engage Rise Against Hunger staff in service learning or community service
Raising funds and other resources
- Planning and executing fundraising events
- Sponsoring or securing funding for specific meal packaging events
- Exploring resources for in-kind gifts
Since our founding in 1998, Rise Against Hunger has grown exponentially - and the ways in which we seek to end hunger continue to evolve. From the implementation of sustainable community development projects to our meal packaging program that harnesses the passion of local volunteers, we strive to make a global impact on hunger by building resilience, self-sufficiency and empowerment among the communities we work in and with. Here are a few examples of how we are approaching this goal.Nourishing Lives
While long-term food security projects take root, vulnerable families and individuals still need to meet their basic needs today. Rise Against Hunger supports safety net programs that provide nourishment as well as additional skills training or services that support the difficult journey out of poverty. Our volunteer-packaged meals support children's attendance at school, incentivize adults to learn a new trade or bolster clinic patients' health in order to bring about holistic and transformational development in each of their lives.Responding to Emergencies
From droughts to floods, in conflict zones and transitioning political situations, food is often the most immediate need. When everyday access to food, wages, and market systems are destroyed in the wake of emergencies, Rise Against Hunger works through a network of in-country partners to address these needs. We strive to ensure aid is efficiently and effectively deployed to and received by communities when it is needed most.Empowering Communities
Rise Against Hunger bolsters agricultural production and incomes through programs promoting improved agricultural methods, business skills, and market access. With training and access to quality seeds and fertilizers, farmers can increase production and harvest a variety of nutritious crops. By supporting the establishment of fish and livestock production, we also provide pathways to diversifying diets and improving nutritional outcomes. For those who do not grow their own food, income is a key determinant in being food secure - through income generating activities we help individuals increase their earning potential and thus their consistent access to food.Growing the Movement
Working together to implement a holistic approach to community development is #HowWeRise against poverty, injustice, and hunger on a global scale. We invite you to take action and help build the movement to end hunger for all and for good by hosting a meal packaging event, volunteering, becoming a hunger champion or taking other action.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
156 Space Park SouthNashvilleNashville, TN 37211
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Customer Acquisition
- Community Outreach
- Orientation or Training
- Four 1-hour Quarterly Meetings each year. A good rule of thumb would be to 5-10 hours per month. 1 year minimum commitment, 2 years preferred.