VOLUNTEER OFFICE ASSISTANT at Mujeres Unidas Avanzando: Vibrant, bilingual environment!
3 people are interested
At Mujeres Unidas Avanzando (MUA), our mission is to help women to break the barriers that stand in the way of their social and economic growth. Through our programs, MUA serves low-income residents from Dorchester and Boston’s surrounding neighborhoods, the clear majority of whom are Latina, although any woman is welcome to take advantage of our programs and services. We offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes; High School Equivalency preparation in Spanish (Hi-SET); computer classes; health workshops and focus groups; HHA and Phlebotomy trainings; Citizenship Preparation; counseling; basic needs referrals and assistance; Family Literacy; one-on-one tutoring provided by volunteers; pull-out sessions for struggling students in Pre-ESOL and ESOL; and on-site child care for mothers with pre-school aged children participating in MUA’s program. Classes run from 9:30-12:00 and 12:00-3:30 to enable mothers to attend our program. We also have a night program open to women and men, featuring ESOL and Hi-SET classes (Monday - Thursday). All services are free.
- Greet current and prospective students as they arrive to MUA.
- Answer and direct phone calls.
- Assist students in completing in-take applications and guide them through level-placement tests for ESOL and Hi-SET.
- Make copies of applications, marketing materials, and other resources.
- Assist with cleaning, with organizing supplies and materials, and general office maintenance.
- Help our receptionist and teachers with other tasks as needed.
- We need assistance primarily from 5 PM - 8 PM, Monday - Thursday, as the school transitions from our day program to our night program.
- The ideal volunteer could come in at least two days per week, if not three or four.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Basic computer and phone skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team environment
- Organized, dedicated, and responsible
- Desire and ability to work with people from diverse, cultural, linguistic, racial, and economic backgrounds
- Self-driven and results-oriented, with a focus on high quality service
- Open-minded and respectful
*The following skills are preferred but not required.
- Additional language skills
- Prior experience in an office environment (especially in non-profit sector)
- Accessible via the MBTA and close to UMASS/Boston
- An authentic environment to practice language skills
- Gain valuable non-profit administration experience
- Casual work environment and flexible hours
- Participate in special events according to MUA’s calendar, with free food and entertainment!
We'll work with your schedule.
54 Clayton StreetBoston, MA 02122
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Basic Computer Skills
- Internet Research
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be at least 18
- We need assistance primarily from 5 PM - 8 PM, Monday - Thursday, as the school transitions from our day program to our night program. The ideal volunteer would be able to come in at least two days per week, if not three or four.