VITA Tax Preparation Volunteer
Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Our VITA Tax Program helps low-income individuals and families file their taxes with free tax preparation services. Through this program, we also connect them to other helpful JFS resources. Together, we will help more than 3,000 households file their taxes for the 2021 Tax Season.
Goal of Position:
As a VITA Virtual Tax Preparation Volunteer, you will work one-on-one with clients over Zoom to help them navigate the ins and outs of tax preparation. We will provide you with training that results in your certification as a volunteer income tax preparer. This detailed training involves a self-directed online curriculum. No previous tax experience necessary! This is an excellent opportunity to gain skills in tax preparation while providing invaluable help to families and individuals in need of your expertise.
- Prepare Federal and State tax returns for refugee and low-income older adult populations
- Perform quality reviews to ensure returns are prepared correctly
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be comfortable working onsite in a socially distanced manner
- Must wear PPE
- Must complete a Volunteer Application
- Must complete a background check
- Must complete HIPAA Level 3 and adhere to protecting client information
- Must attend an orientation and training
- Intermediate computer skills
- Comfortability working independently
- Second language skills a plus (Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, or another refugee language)
- Must speak and read English for training purposes
- Must speak clearly and have strong verbal skills
- Must be able to transport yourself to our main campus
- Must be friendly and able to work well with our older adult population
- No tax experience necessary - training to be provided
- 3-month commitment (February-April 2021)
- 1 day per week
- 4 hours per day
- Practice your tax preparation skills while serving vulnerable members in our community
- Receive invitations to professional development trainings or virtual programming hosted by JFS
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
8804 Balboa Avenue, SAN DIEGO, CA 92123, US
Jewish Family Service is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego. Our wide range of integrated services Empower Individuals & Families to Move Toward Self-Sufficiency, Support Aging With Dignity, and Foster Community Connection & Engagement throughout San Diego County and the Coachella Valley.
Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter. Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego Move Forward.