SHN Board President
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
The Safe Haven Network's Board of Directors is a dedicated group of local professionals committed to the promotion and expansion of available pet services for domestic violence survivors. The Board monitors the activities of the organization to ensure that they uphold the mission of The Safe Haven Network, including the financial position of the organization. The Board engages in fundraising efforts, both collectively and individually, and in increasing visibility for both the organization and the issues we address in our community.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, ambitious candidate with prior board experience who is eager to help us build a strong foundation for future organizational growth. The Board President will provide leadership to The Safe Haven Network as it launches new programs and community outreach activities with an eye toward expansion into a sustainable national entity. The Board President will support and sustain the work of The Safe Haven Network, and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support.
- Being a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements The Safe Haven Networks’s strategic plan
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with donors, partners, and other stakeholders
- As a board member, approving The Safe Haven Network’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by The Safe Haven Network for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Coordinating an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and Nominating Committee in recruiting board members
- Periodically consulting with board members on their roles and helping them assess their performance
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings; partnering with the Executive Director to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring The Safe Haven Network’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities The Safe Haven Network serves
- State responsibilities: http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/charities/volunteers.html
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering The Safe Haven Network’s overall financial health
- Personally treating The Safe Haven Network as a top philanthropic priority reflected in an annual financial gift
- Ensuring that 100% of The Safe Haven Network’s board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts
Length of Term
Board Members serve a two year term, and officers serve for a term of one year. There will be an annual review of each member by the board officers to determine continuation of board membership. If a member cannot fulfill his/her responsibilities then he/she may be asked to leave prior to the end of their term.
The Board of Directors meets monthly and keeps in contact between meetings via email and social media. It is important that all members attend these meetings to hear organizational updates, report their progress, present new leads and/or request support from other members/staff.
Members are encouraged to attend and participate in SHN fundraising and community events, including our annual Domestic Violence Awareness Month Supply Drive and Pints for Paws fundraiser.
Full board members are expected to contribute a minimum of $1000 to The Safe Haven Network annually. The contribution can be made from the board member's private resources, raised independently in any manner that does not conflict with the board's or the organization's mission, or through assistance and promotion of SHN's fundraising events. Contribution can also be scheduled in a series of smaller, regular payments.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of The Safe Haven Network’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of board leadership. The selected Board President will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit board member or board chair/president
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a nonprofit
- A commitment to and understanding of The Safe Haven Network’s beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of The Safe Haven Network’s beneficiaries
Service on The Safe Haven Network’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
For more information, please send a resume and brief description of prior board experience to email@example.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
ChicagoChicago, IL 60606
- Strategic Planning
- Donor Management