Volunteer with a Therapeutic Horsemanship Program in Forest Hills, Queens
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
29 people are interested
GallopNYC uses therapeutic horsemanship to help riders in NYC with disabilities walk, talk and learn,inspiring them to live their lives as fully, independently and productively as possible. GallopNYC's vision is that every child with a disability in New York City has access to therapeutic horseback riding.
Tasks Available for Volunteers
- Side Walking: Assist the instructor during therapeutic riding sessions by working directly with the riders. Act as an intermediary between the rider and instructor by assisting the rider in carrying out the instructor’s directions.
- Help prepare riders for lessons
- Assist with rider support during mounting and dismounting
- Walk (and jog) next to the rider throughout the class and provide physical support as necessary
- Help the rider follow directions given by the instructor
- Lead Walking: Volunteer will lead horses during therapeutic riding classes, working with a group of side-walkers, keeping primary focus on assigned horse (and not the rider) while maintaining communication with team
- Executes directions of the instructor during therapeutic riding sessions
- Depending on site, will bring horses in and out of arena
We conduct lessons six days a week at our indoor arena in Forest Hills, Queens
Check out our Volunteer page to learn more about the program, and how volunteers help with lessons.
The process to volunteer with GallopNYC is quite simple:
1. Go to: https://volunteer.gallopny c.org/HOC__Volunteer_Registrat ion_Page, and make an account.
2. Complete the online orientation.
3. Sign up to volunteer by choosing your preferred day and location.
After you sign up on the website, you will receive further updates on how to complete your registration. That’s it!
*Experience with horses is helpful but not at all necessary.
Please feel free to contact us for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8803 70th Rd, Flushing, NY 11375, US
To improve the lives of children and adults facing developmental, emotional, social, and physical challenges through the benefits of therapeutic horseback riding.
We teach children and adults with disabilities to ride horses. Horseback riding provides significant physical, mental and emotional benefits to disabled people.
The horse's gentle movement results in movement of the rider's pelvis which mimics the human gait. It also increases the disabled rider's flexibility, balance and muscle strength and may reduce spasticity. Examples of riders we will teach include individuals with cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, traumatic head injury, post-stroke, pervasive developmental disorders, mental retardation, and individuals who have suffered emotional trauma such as veterans, first responders (NYPD, NYFD, EMS) and their families.
We bring the joy of therapeutic horseback riding to people with disabilities in NY City, operating at two stables -- one in Brooklyn and one in Queens. GallopNYC is the nickname of Giving Alternative Learners Uplifting Opportunities, Inc., a non profit corporation.
GallopNYC Forest Hills8803 70th RoadForest Hills, NY 11375
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum two hours a week for 10 weeks
- Online orientation must be completed.