Seeking New Board Members
12 people are interested
Application for Cambridge Women’s Center Board of Trustees
Are you a woman passionate about the power of community space? Interested in joining a non-profit board? Do you have experience with fundraising, non-profit management or finances & accounting? The Cambridge Women's Center is actively seeking new members for the Board of Trustees. We are in an exciting period of growth and change and YOU could be a part of it!
Founded nearly 50 years ago, the Cambridge Women’s Center is a safe community space created by women, for women that provides free programs and services 6 days, 55 hours a week. We offer opportunities for empowerment, learning, healing, trauma support, and understanding, and are supported by hundreds of volunteers and 2 full-time staff who work hard to meet women where they need us most. The Women’s Center is unique because we provide a wide range of services that meet the complex needs of at-risk women, confidentially and free of charge. We operate a helpline for emotional support, provide resource referrals and have access to material assistance, food and a computer lab. We are a welcoming, home-like environment, close to public transportation with no restrictions on how long women may use our services, and no intrusive intake procedures. For women without stable environments, our Center is a rare and secure space where they can feel comfortable conducting everyday activities, and enjoying more autonomy and self-direction than they normally have elsewhere.
The Center welcomes all women, and many women who are low-income and/or homeless rely on the Center for a safe space. Many of our members are survivors of intimate partner violence, childhood sexual abuse, and/or sexual assault. We have only two paid full-time staff positions: Center Director and Manager of Grants and Development, over 130 volunteers, nine members of the Board of Trustees, and an annual budget of approximately $200,000.
We are in a period of growth and change, and are seeking to increase our organizational budget and develop a stronger strategic plan for long-term success of the Cambridge Women’s Center.
The Women’s Center Board of Trustees is responsible for the organization’s vision, goals, policies, finances, and staffing. Trustees have the following responsibilities:
- Management and oversight over all property, affairs and funds of the Center.
- Planning of long-term strategic goals and vision for the Center.
- Creation and revision of personnel policies, hiring, oversight, evaluation and support of the staff.
- Support for fundraising initiatives.
- Facilitation of communication among the Board, staff, members, and community.
- Committee assignments include: Finance, Human Resources, Evaluation, Strategic Planning, and Fundraising
We are seeking candidates with the following characteristics:
- Strong commitment to the mission of the Center.
- Willing to make a commitment of at least 10 hours per month, including attending at least 80% of monthly Board meetings.
- Experience or education in human services, non-profit governance, community organizing, law, tax and finance, fundraising, and/or human resources.
- Experience in anti-racism, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender, disability rights, and/or other social justice movements.
- Prospective members will be expected to meet individually with two Board members and attend two one hour open-session Board meetings where prospective members will have the opportunity to talk with the entire Board.
The Women’s Center is committed to maintaining a Board reflecting the diversity of the women we serve. Women of color, immigrants, trans women, and women with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information please email: email@example.com.
Please submit a resume and cover letter responding to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- How did you hear about the Women’s Center? Do you have any past or current involvement with the Center?
- Why are you interested in joining the Women’s Center Board of Trustees?
- What skills and/or strengths would you like to bring to the Board?
- Please tell us anything else that you would like us to know about you. What questions do you have about the Women’s Center or about being on the Board?
- The following is a list of areas for which the Board has some or all responsibility. Please explain what sort of experience you have or why you have a strong interest in these areas:
· Event planning
· Supervision / Human Resources / Personnel
· Community outreach / Publicity / Media work
· Financial planning or management
· Diversity development
· Board development
· Strategic planning
Thank you for your interest in the Cambridge Women’s Center
About Cambridge Women's Center
46 PLEASANT ST, CAMBRIDGE, MA 02139, US
To provide women with the resources and support they need to emerge from conditions of domestic violence, sexual abuse, poverty, discrimination, social isolation, and degradation; and to challenge and change the attitudes, actions, and institutions that subjugate women.
The Women's Center is a community center for women - fighting for women's rights and against all forms of oppression. We provide space for the support, education and empowerment of all women. We offer a Drop-In Program for low-income women, a Helpline for emotional support and resource information, and a wide variety of ongoing groups and events, including yoga, sewing, beading, creative writing painting and drawing, trauma support group, English/Spanish conversation, 65+ Conversation, Self-Care, Incest Survivors group, and much more. We also offer a space for women and women-focused groups to meet, a kitchen stocked with nutritious food, and two Computer Labs for women to use and learn on.
We'll work with your schedule.
46 Pleasant StreetCambridge, MA 02139
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Strategic Planning
- Legal (General)
- Human Resources Recruitment
- Community Outreach
- Up to 10 hours per month including one board meeting per month and strategic planning meetings every six months.