Seeking New Board Members
9 people are interested
Application for Cambridge Women’s Center Board of Trustees
Are you a woman passionate about the power of community space? Interested in joining a non-profit board? Do you have experience with fundraising, non-profit management or finances & accounting? The Cambridge Women's Center is actively seeking new members for the Board of Trustees. We are in an exciting period of growth and change and YOU could be a part of it!
Founded nearly 50 years ago, the Cambridge Women’s Center is a safe community space created by women, for women that provides free programs and services 6 days, 55 hours a week. We offer opportunities for empowerment, learning, healing, trauma support, and understanding, and are supported by hundreds of volunteers and 2 full-time staff who work hard to meet women where they need us most. The Women’s Center is unique because we provide a wide range of services that meet the complex needs of at-risk women, confidentially and free of charge. We operate a helpline for emotional support, provide resource referrals and have access to material assistance, food and a computer lab. We are a welcoming, home-like environment, close to public transportation with no restrictions on how long women may use our services, and no intrusive intake procedures. For women without stable environments, our Center is a rare and secure space where they can feel comfortable conducting everyday activities, and enjoying more autonomy and self-direction than they normally have elsewhere.
The Center welcomes all women, and many women who are low-income and/or homeless rely on the Center for a safe space. Many of our members are survivors of intimate partner violence, childhood sexual abuse, and/or sexual assault. We have only two paid full-time staff positions: The Director of Volunteers, Programs and House Management and the Director of Development position, over 130 volunteers, seven members of the Board of Trustees, and an annual budget of approximately $200,000.
We are in a period of growth and change, and are seeking to increase our organizational budget and develop a stronger strategic plan for long-term success of the Cambridge Women’s Center.
The Women’s Center Board of Trustees is responsible for the organization’s vision, goals, policies, finances, and staffing. Trustees have the following responsibilities:
- Management and oversight over all property, affairs and funds of the Center.
- Planning of long-term strategic goals and vision for the Center.
- Creation and revision of personnel policies, hiring, oversight, evaluation and support of the staff.
- Support for fundraising initiatives.
- Facilitation of communication among the Board, staff, members, and community.
- Committee assignments include: Finance, Human Resources, Evaluation, Strategic Planning, and Fundraising
We are seeking candidates with the following characteristics:
- Strong commitment to the mission of the Center.
- Willing to make a commitment of at least 10 hours per month, including attending at least 80% of monthly Board meetings.
- Experience or education in human services, non-profit governance, community organizing, law, tax and finance, fundraising, and/or human resources.
- Experience in anti-racism, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender, disability rights, and/or other social justice movements.
- Prospective members will be expected to meet individually with two Board members and attend two one hour open-session Board meetings where prospective members will have the opportunity to talk with the entire Board.
The Women’s Center is committed to maintaining a Board reflecting the diversity of the women we serve. Women of color, immigrants, trans women, and women with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit a resume and cover letter responding to the following questions to email@example.com:
- How did you hear about the Women’s Center? Do you have any past or current involvement with the Center?
- Why are you interested in joining the Women’s Center Board of Trustees?
- What skills and/or strengths would you like to bring to the Board?
- Please tell us anything else that you would like us to know about you. What questions do you have about the Women’s Center or about being on the Board?
- The following is a list of areas for which the Board has some or all responsibility. Please explain what sort of experience you have or why you have a strong interest in these areas:
· Event planning
· Supervision / Human Resources / Personnel
· Community outreach / Publicity / Media work
· Financial planning or management
· Diversity development
· Board development
· Strategic planning
Thank you for your interest in the Cambridge Women’s Center
We'll work with your schedule.
46 Pleasant StreetCambridge, MA 02139
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Human Resources Training & Development
- Strategic Planning
- Legal (General)
- Social Work
- Up to 10 hours per month including one board meeting per month and strategic planning meetings every six months.