Age Well Live Well AmeriCorps VISTA Member- Lower Rio Grande Valley
2 people are interested
Be a positive force for change in the lives of older adults in the Lower Rio Grande Valley! As a VISTA with Age Well Live Well, you will be working to fight inequality in a community with a fast-growing older adult population. You will help the Area Agency on Aging of Lower Rio Grande Valley to ensure that older adults lead independent and dignified lives in their own communities, all while gaining knowledge of generational perspectives and experience in building partnerships.
VISTAs have a chance to live and serve in the community and work on a focus area of their choice. For a one year commitment, VISTAs will receive a modest living allowance, a $5,920 education award (to put towards education expenses like student loans), health and childcare coverage, and more.
The Area Agency on Aging of Lower Rio Grande Valley is a program of the Lower Rio Grande Valley Development Council. It is one of 28 area agencies on aging (AAA) in the state whose functions are to plan, research and develop a coordinated system of resources and services to address needs of persons who are 60 years of age and older and their caregivers. The AAA is at the southernmost tip of Texas serving Cameron, Hidalgo, and Willacy Counties. The region also has a high minority and low-income older adult population. One of the factors facing this region is in the area of health disparities among this population.
The AAA is also one of eight AAA that has elected to participate in the project initiated by the Texas Health and Human Services Age Well Live Well campaign to promote healthy living and wellness among older adults especially low income older individuals.
The two objectives of the local project are to encourage community awareness of aging and living well by participating in an existing collaborative or forming a new Age Well Live Well collaborative, and develop and implement a plan to engage new and existing partnerships to identify and expand community resources and support efforts to engage low income older adults and stakeholders from small communities.
To view the position posting and apply for this VISTA position visit: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=78378&fromSearch=tru
About Texas Health and Human Services- Aging Services Coordination
701 West 51st Street, Austin, TX 78751, US
Mission Improving the health, safety and well-being of Texans with good stewardship of public resources. Vision Making a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC)
Experienced HHSC employees deliver benefits and services, including:
- Medicaid for families and children
- Long-term care for people who are older or who have disabilities
- SNAP food benefits and TANF cash assistance for families
- Behavioral health services
- Services to help keep people who are older or who have disabilities in their homes and communities
- Services for women and other people with special health needs
The agency also oversees regulatory functions including:
- Licensing and credentialing long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes and assisted living
- Licensing child care providers
- Managing the day-to-day operations of state supported living centers and state hospitals
301 West RailroadWeslaco, TX 78596
- Resource Development / Management
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Capacity Planning
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This is a 40 hour a week position that receives a stipend. For more information about the AmeriCorps VISTA program please visit: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista