Help teach computer skills to adult immigrants in Quincy!
1 person is interested
The BOSTON CHINATOWN NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER (BCNC) is looking for committed, tech-savvy individuals to assist in Monday computer classes for our adult ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) students! Help play a vital role in ensuring every student receives the individualized instruction and attention that they need in order to build their computer skills for their life, career, and educational goals.
- 3 hours weekly on Mondays ONLY
- Monday mornings from 9:45 am - 12:45 pm OR Monday evenings from 5:45 pm - 8:45 pm
Come volunteer with us for three-six months, and you'll...
- Develop valuable teaching and communication skills;
- Learn about Quincy's immigrant community from a personal perspective; and
- Help students improve not only their English and digital literacy skills but also their self-confidence and their ability to navigate everyday life in a new country!
- Assist the computer class teacher with class activities as directed, including but not limited to:
- Helping students individually or in small groups to understand concepts and complete assignments
- Monitoring students’ level of understanding and progress throughout the class
- Submit monthly reports about class activities to the BCNC Adult Education Volunteer Coordinator
- Communicate clearly and promptly with the computer class instructor and the BCNC Adult Education Volunteer Coordinator
- Be a positive role model for BCNC Adult Education students
- Assist the computer class teacher with setting up and putting away technology before and after class
- At least 18 years old
- Able to pass a CORI and SORI background check
- Advanced-Intermediate level English (oral and written)
- Proficient in the use of PCs, Chromebooks, laptops, smartphones, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and/or other classroom technology
- Have excellent communication skills
- Engaging, patient, and proactive
- Culturally competent, open-minded, and patient
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Have teaching and/or tutoring experience (helpful but not required)
- Have experience working with immigrants, English language learners, and/or adult learners (helpful but not required)
- Fluent in another language (helpful but not required)
As the largest social service provider for Asian families in the Greater Boston area, Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center (BCNC) responds to community needs by delivering holistic, family-centered, and culturally competent programs to over 3,000 children, youth, and adults each year.
The BCNC Adult Education & Workforce Initiatives Program provides adult immigrants with the language and support they need to achieve social and economic self-sufficiency in the United States. Our services include English classes for immigrants with education and career goals, a customer service job training program for immigrants seeking entry-level employment, and an English class for parents and caregivers of K-12 children.
Our Quincy site is a one-minute walk away from the North Quincy stop on the Red Line.
For more information, visit bcnc.net.
275 Hancock StreetQuincy, MA 02171
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours weekly on Mondays ONLY; either 9:45 am - 12:45 pm or 5:45 pm - 8:45 pm