Seeking a Treasurer for the Board of Directors of Rebuilding Alliance
1 person is interested
We have an opening for an insightful, strategic professional with good finance and accounting experience to join our board of directors and serve as treasurer. Does this sound like you?
Our board of directors, all volunteers, are the fiduciaries who hold the trust of our donors by steering Rebuilding Alliance towards a sustainable future through sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management, as well as by making sure our nonprofit has adequate resources to advance our mission.
The treasurer provides leadership in the financial life of our organization. That financial leadership requires a combination of skills and characteristics. Drawing upon an article by Mike Burns, a great treasurer balances these responsibilities:
- Knowledge - Thorough understanding of the financial reports. It helps to have some financial background, which may require some supplemental training in nonprofit financial terminology and requirements.
- Communications - Able to translate financial information and financial concepts for the board. The treasurer works with staff, specifically the executive director and the accountant, to develop financial reports in advance of Rebuilding Alliance’s monthly board meetings. You present the financial reports at the meeting and you may need to help to explain and re-frame until everyone understands the reports.
- Planning - Partner with the executive director to develop a useful budget. It would be great for you to form and chair a finance committee to help. The treasurer can bring great value in preparing for budget discussions and conveying budget information to the board. Budgets are the financial version of an annual or strategic plan and the treasurer is in the best position to make sure that budget priorities and decisions reflect the intentions and objectives of the board.
- Strategy - Great treasurers go beyond annual budgets, audits, and financial reports to bring financial leadership to the organization. Great treasurers look down the road to find the financial options and decisions needed for longer term goals and initiate discussions to connect finance and mission.
Rebuilding Alliance , a 501(c)3 nonprofit based in Burlingame, CA, is dedicated to advancing equal rights and opportunity for the Palestinian people through education, advocacy, and support that assures Palestinian families the right to a home, schooling, economic security, safety, and a promising future. Our vision is to realize a just and enduring peace in Palestine and Israel founded upon equal rights, equal security, and equal opportunity for all.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Meeting with our accountant and executive director each month to discuss monthly financial statements, reviewing them for accuracy and financial health,
- Sending the reviewed financial reports to the board a week before the board meeting describing the financial health of Rebuilding Alliance, including a summary of account balances, cash flow, and performance against budget;
- Providing oversight on behalf of the board for major financial expenses undertaken by our nonprofit. You’ll provide a 2nd signature for checks over $5000, in accordance with policy;
- Working with the executive director and bookkeeper to continually improve the organization’s processes for financial management including by overseeing the review or audit procedure;
- Working with the executive director and, if possible, a finance committee, to construct and revise an annual budget, and work to propose amendments to that budget based on expressed donor interest and specific project opportunities as they arise.
Our monthly board meetings take place in person in Burlingame, CA. Each board member serves for a three year term with the ability to renew for a second three year term. Board members spend at least five hours a month volunteering to serve our org as needed and support the organization financially as able through cash or equity donations.
To be successful in this role, it helps to have had previous experience working on a non-profit board with experience in non-profit financial management and/or experience in small business or nonprofit management. A keen interest in international affairs is a plus.
If you would like to apply, please email a cover letter addressed to Ray Rischpater, Treasurer of Rebuilding Alliance's Board, describing why you wish to join Rebuilding Alliance’s board and serve our treasurer. Please attach your resume along with three references.
We'll work with your schedule.
1818 Gilbreth Road, Ste 243Burlingame, CA 94010
- Financial Planning
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Project Management
- Board members spend at least five hours a month volunteering to serve our org as needed and support the organization financially as able through cash or equity donations.