AmeriCorps Recruitment VISTA
"We are looking for a candidate with a passion for service, strong communication skills, and a belief that all young people can succeed given the right support."
The AmeriCorps VISTA position is a full-time 12-month paid volunteer assignment based in Compton, CA. The VISTA will work with a dynamic team and contribute to local initiatives to increase awareness of YouthBuild programs. The focus will be on strengthening and supporting the development and resourcing of YouthBuild programs in the furtherance of the YouthBuild movement to benefit underserved communities. The program requires assistance in raising awareness so more young people and programs that serve them will be exposed to the opportunities available.
PLEASE NOTE: The AmeriCorps VISTA mission is to strengthen organizations that alleviate poverty through volunteering and the mobilization of resources. AmeriCorps VISTA members build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities. You will not be working directly with participants.
Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting a needs assessment for recruitment efforts
- Building and managing community partnerships to increase program visibility
- Communications/PR development
- Fundraising/Recruitment Event planning
Compton YouthBuild is a workforce and leadership development program for young people ages 18 to 24 that live in economically distressed neighborhoods. Young people learn leadership, advocacy and workforce readiness skills, while they earn an accredited high school diploma and industry recognized certifications.
We are a full-time, project-based program focused on social justice and restorative practices that allows young people to develop skills needed to rebuild their communities and their lives.YouthBuild USA Program: The mission of YouthBuild USA is to break the cycle of poverty by unleashing the intelligence and positive energy of low-income out-of-school young adults to rebuild their communities and their lives. In YouthBuild programs in America's poorest communities, low-income young people ages 16 to 24 enroll full-time
for about a year, during which time they build affordable housing for homeless and low-income people and work toward their own high school diploma or GED while learning leadership skills and internalizing the ethic of service. These programs are run by autonomous local community-based or public agencies.
- Positive and Flexible self-starter who can work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Degree preferred
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Living allowance stipend ($18,172 = $697 bi-weekly, based on the poverty rate in Los Angeles County)
- Choice of AmeriCorps Segal Education Award ($5,920) or End of Service Stipend ($1,800) paid upon completion of a full service term.
- Relocation assistance: travel allowance for relocation of more than 50 miles and eligible mileage reimbursement.
- Public transportation stipend of up to $100 per month for job-related transit.
- VISTA members receive 20 days off per year (for sick days and/or vacation time)
NOTE: 12-month assignment begins January 2019 and ends December 2019. Possibility of a 1-year extension.
How to apply: After reviewing the websites listed below, please email your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please share details about your passion for service. No phone calls.
Review these websites to understand more about the organizations involved in this assignment:
http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista/what-vista-members-do, http://www.comptonyouthbuild.org. http://www.youthbuild.org
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor's
Required license or certification: Driver’s License with insurance
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
1108 N. Oleander AvenueComptonCompton, CA 90222
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Full-time for 1 year