Legal Counseling Advocate
The Legal Counseling Advocate assists clients and attorneys at legal advice clinics focusing on divorce, child custody and other family law issues.
Impact & Benefits
- Provide services that enable individuals to better navigate the legal system and community resources
- Gain experience working with a diverse group of clients with regard to family law issues and identify available community resources
- Assist at Law Clinics by helping clients focus and prioritize legal issues before they meet with an attorney
- Provide appropriate information, referrals, emotional support, and supportive counseling afterward
- Complete all paperwork and administrative tasks and communicate with Legal Services program staff regarding Law Clinics
Time Commitment & Availability
- Interest in family law issues and legal resources
- Ability and willingness to listen actively and respond appropriately to clients while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to work with diverse teams and clients to foster a culturally inclusive environment
- Good communication, organization, and time management skills
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel to various Tubman sites
Supervision & Training
- 3-12 hours per month with a 9 month minimum commitment preferred. Weekday evening or Friday morning availability needed.
- Attend Tubman’s five-part Volunteer/Intern Orientation and Training series
- On-the-job training includes attending law clinic "buddy shifts" to observe current Legal Counseling Advocate volunteers
- Supervision provided by the Legal Services Team
3111 1st Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55408, US
To advance opportunities for change so that every person can experience safety, hope, and healing.
Each year Tubman helps nearly 25,000 people of all ages, genders, and cultural backgrounds who are facing relationship violence, sexual assault, exploitation, homelessness, addiction, mental health challenges, or other forms of trauma. We provide safe shelter, legal services, mental and chemical health counseling, youth programs and community education.