Sprout Scouts Internship
1 person is interested
Sprout Scouts is an after-school program created by the nonprofits FoodCorps and LifeLab to get kids excited about where food comes from, and learn what healthy food looks like, through garden based nutrition education. This program focuses on evidence-based teaching practices that enhance NC Common Core through the lens of school gardens, while teaching self-sufficiency skills and increasing food access in high need communities. The Sprout Scouts interns will work together every week to provide a two hour after-school club at select elementary schools in Durham and Raleigh. Interns must be able to effectively work as a team and be confident in an outdoor teaching environment.
* Facilitate after-school gardening education club for 2 hours once a week
* Set-up and clean after each club meeting
* Coordinate with volunteers and other interns to prepare for club
* Coordinate with Urban Agriculture Manager for weekly supplies and updates
* Report weekly updates on number of participants
* Record quotes and photos from club meetings for digital newsletter
* Outgoing personality with excellent interpersonal skills; must be confident working with elementary school aged students; must be able to pass a background check.
* Ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, and participants from a cross cultural, multi-disciplinary environment.
* Strong outdoor education background: horticulture, agriculture, or environmental sciences preferred.
* Must be able to commit to set schedule; minimum between 2:30 - 6:30 PM once a week for 10 weeks.
* High organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, manage time, and meet deadlines.
* Must be able to attend training and orientation in Raleigh.
TIME COMMITMENT: 10-15 hours per week: January - May
TO APPLY: Submit application, cover letter, and resume to Urban Agriculture Education Manager, Ayn Corrigan at Ayn@foodshuttle.org. Use the subject line: Sprout Scouts Internship. Please indicate which city you would like to complete your internship, Raleigh or Durham.
1001 Blair Drive, Suite 120Inter-Faith Food ShuttleRaleighRaleigh, NC 27603
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10 -15 hours per week: January to May