Mentors Needed for UMich College Students
12 people are interested
Are you interested in helping mentor the next generation of social innovators?
optiMize, a student-led org at the University of Michigan, is looking for mentors from a variety of backgrounds to help out with workshops, small group mentoring, and 1-on-1 mentoring for students as they work on developing self-directed projects that make a positive impact in the world.
Our primary program is the optiMize Challenge. It's an incubator for students to develop their projects with the potential to be awarded funding from the University - we awarded a total of $300,000 in 2019 alone. Student projects we've funded include initiatives in climate change, global hunger, education equality, medical innovation, sustainability, and more!
An optiMize Mentor’s Commitments to Mentees
- I will find the good first.
- I will try to be helpful, not just to be "right."
- I will "sit next to you" and put problems in front of us rather than between us.
- I will ask you to clarify any important idea that isn’t clear to me.
- I will never crush your dreams or make you feel stupid.
- I will challenge you only after I have made it clear that I have listened to you and I care about you.
- I will ask thoughtful questions to challenge you and help you see new possibilities.
- I will acknowledge that I still might not fully understand the issue.
- I will help you understand your strengths and how to use them to address your challenges.
- I will always let the student make their own decision.
- I will tell stories from my own experience to illustrate potential lessons, but I will not give specific directions to you - not all of my lessons apply to your experience and this is your business, not mine.
- I will work with you to create clear expectations of what must be completed (if anything) before we meet again.
Benefits for Mentors
- Engage in the meaningful experience of supporting students who are working to change the world!
- Catch the creativity, energy, and ideas of incredible students who believe a better future is possible!
- Reflect on your own skills and experiences and improve your own work and life as a result!
- Develop your skills as a mentor and teacher!
- Make a big social impact with your time!
- Connect to a network of other Mentors from a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and industries!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
218 Weiser Hall, 500 Church St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, US
Cultivating the optiMize community. Bringing people together for transformative education. Creating projects that illuminate possibilities, in passionate pursuit of a just and sustainable future. Practicing love and care in all we do, to help everyone we meet ask themselves, "Why not me?"
We are a student-led organization at the University of Michigan that offers workshops, mentorship, and funding for students to create self-directed projects that make a positive impact. Our primary program is the optiMize Challenge. It's an incubator for students to develop their projects. Projects can receive up to $20,000 - we awarded a total of $215,000 in 2018.
We'll work with your schedule.
218 Weiser Hall500 Church StAnn Arbor, MI 48109
- Teaching / Instruction
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hours/month