Serve on the Nomination Committee for Milwaukee Poet Laureate
1 person is interested
Are you a leader of our local literary community?
Here's your chance to have a one of a kind impact.
For almost 20 years, the Milwaukee Public Library has been amplifying and uplifting local poetry through the Milwaukee Poet Laureate project. Through special events, readings, and cross disciplinary projects each Poet Laureate aims to enhance life and build community through poetry during their two year term.
Members of the Nomination Committee play a vital role in recruiting prospective nominees and working collaboratively within the committee to screen all applicants and nominate a Poet Laureate for the 2019-2021 term. Deadline to apply is November 30, 2018.
* Establish meeting schedule and timeline for completion of nomination process.
* Create the Poet Laureate Application including job description, requirements, and stipend amount.
* Identify recruitment avenues both through MPL and fellow committee member networks.
* Identify screening criteria including creation of evaluation worksheet to assess knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience.
* Screen and review every applicant.
* Work collaboratively with fellow committee members to nominate a Poet Laureate based on screening criteria.
* Participate in planning of Induction Ceremony.
* Attend and actively participate in preferably all, but no less than 80% of committee meetings, whether in-person or by conference call.
* Accept and complete assignments or work related to the mission of the committee as requested by the committee chair.
* Review committee documents, reports, and manuscripts in a timely manner.
* Provide input and suggestions for committee actions on a regular basis.
* Familiarity with local poetry community.
* Disclose any conflicts of interest to nominated poets.
* Strict confidentiality must be maintained throughout the entire search and selection process. Any information disclosed to outside parties regarding the applicants and/or the process may be grounds for termination from the committee.
The duration of the recruitment, selection, and induction of the Poet Laureate (approximately January - May 2019).
HOW TO APPLY:
Individuals interested in serving on the Nomination Committee should submit a Volunteer Application on MPL.org/Volunteer and send a Letter of Interest and/or C.V. which communicates the candidate's knowledge, experience, or expertise in literature, poetry, or spoken word to MPLVolunteer@milwaukee.gov. Committee members will be appointed by the Nomination Committee Chair.
Questions? Contact the Library Volunteer Coordinator at MPLVolunteer@milwaukee.gov or (414) 286-3077.
We'll work with your schedule.
Milwaukee Public Library - Central814 W. Wisconsin AveMilwaukee, WI 53233
- Literacy / Reading
- Project Management
- Reading / Writing
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training