Volunteer with One Brick Boston at Haley House (Soup Kitchen Elder Meal)
6 people are interested
To attend this event, you must RSVP here: https://onebrick.org/node/2343714
On Sundays, Haley House offers healthy, made-from-scratch, meals to homeless and/or food insecure folks over the age of 55. The volunteer shift is four hours and closes with a reflection. Meals are served to guests at the table fostering conversation, sharing and creating a sense of family.
This event will allow you to help out local elders in need during the holiday season.WHAT WE'LL BE DOING:
Volunteer duties include: food prep, cooking, baking, washing dishes, serving food, engaging with guests, and cleaning.WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Volunteers must be able to commit for the entire shift. B efore the event, you must fill out this pre-event form for Haley House.
Required Dress Code:
- Long pants (preferably jeans/canvas pants; not tights or leggings)-
- A shirt with sleeves (short sleeves are okay, but underarms must not be exposed)
- Closed-toed, non-slip shoes (that might get splashed with water)
- A head-covering (a baseball hat or bandana that covers all hair. Long hair must be tucked under a hat or secured in a bun or a ponytail.
- Hair nets, aprons, and disposable gloves will be available when you get here. When dressing for your shift, keep in mind that clothes may be stained by food or bleach.
NOTE: This event is wheelchair accessible and is able to accommodate volunteers with disabilities. If you require any accommodations, please let the event manager know, so we can work with the nonprofit hosting the event to make necessary accommodations. Thank you!WHERE TO MEET:
This event will be held at the Haley House Soup Kitchen, located at 23 Dartmouth Street in Boston. There is minimal parking available in the lot behind the building, as well as public parking spaces in the area. The building is only a few blocks from the Back Bay station on the MBTA Orange Line. The MBTA 43 bus also stops nearby. The Event Manager will provide more details about the meeting location to all volunteers prior to the event.HALEY HOUSE:
Haley House is dedicated to helping those made vulnerable by the harshest effects of inequality move toward wholeness and economic independence. We offer collaborative living and working environments that:
* Build communities and connections across boundaries
* Model creative alternatives that confirm the intrinsic dignity and worth of each person
* Challenge the attitudes and structures that perpetuate suffering
Haley House uses food and the power of community to break down barriers between people, transfer new skills, and revitalize neighborhoods. We believe in radical solutions: solving problems at their root by challenging attitudes that perpetuate suffering and by building alternative models.ABOUT ONE BRICK BOSTON:
One Brick provides support to local non-profit and community organizations by creating a unique, social and flexible volunteer environment for those interested in making a concrete difference in the community. We enable people to get involved, have an impact and have fun, without the requirements of individual long-term commitments.
Haley House Soup Kitchen23 Dartmouth StreetBoston, MA 02116
- Cooking / Catering
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Food Service
- Must be at least 21
- 4 hrs
- Must RSVP here to attend: https://onebrick.org/node/2343714