Core Crisis Chat Volunteer
12 people are interested
2-1-1/LIFE LINE is a mission service of Goodwill of the Finger Lakes that provides crisis/suicide hotline and information & referral program offering crisis intervention, needs assessment, and referrals to health and human services organizations that can assist with those identified needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Core Crisis Chat Volunteer will answer and document chats from our National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Core Chat Services that operates from Sunday through Saturday 8:00am-4:30 pm. Volunteers will assist chatters at risk for suicide following established policy, protocol, and procedure. Volunteers must comply with the organization’s confidently policy as well as all other policies.
- Volunteer must be able to model agency values at all times.
- Volunteer must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Internet Navigation.
- Volunteer must have experience and/or interest in the human service field and/or lived experience with suicide (attempt and survivor).
- Volunteer must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times.
- Volunteer must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Individual must be a self-directed and able to take the initiative in follow-up and resolution of daily issues.
- Individual must be innovative, forward thinker - able to think outside the box.
- Volunteer must have a desire for continuous learning and be open to feedback.
To perform assignment successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Must be at least eighteen years of age. Additionally, must be available for at least two hours per assignment but no more than four hours at one time.
Business Casual and must be in accordance with the organization’s Appearance Guidelines.
Volunteers will receive onsite crisis counseling training ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) model to develop safety plans with chatters who are in crisis and/or having thoughts of suicide. Volunteers will be trained in how to navigate and document in our database.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED). One-year experience in Customer Service preferred. Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are presentative of those that must be met by the volunteer to successfully perform the assignment.
While performing the assignment of 211/LL Chat Volunteer, the volunteer must be able to regularly and openly communicate with members of the department. The volunteer will frequently need to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects/keyboard, and reach with hands & arms.
The volunteer will be occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. The volunteer must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
2-1-1/LIFE LINE is a call center, noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We'll work with your schedule.
422 S Clinton AveRochester, NY 14620
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Disaster Relief Call Center
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- minimum of 1 session a week-Each session is 2-4 hr