OMSI Life Science Lab Volunteer
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
position summary: Life Science Volunteers invite visitors to explore the nature of human growth and development, the structure and function of the human body, or learn about the comparative anatomy and adaptations of the diverse group of animals, including reptiles, amphibians, insects, and rats, living in the Life Science Lab.
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from Life Science exhibits and lab activities.
- Present Life Science demonstrations to visitors, such as sifting owl pellets looking for bones or showing examples of comparative anatomy.
- Handle live animals so that visitors can see them up close or touch them.
- Help young children to explore biology through hands-on art projects and activities, such as making butterfly mounts from pipe cleaners and paper.
- Assist with maintenance of the hall and lab, including keeping cages clean, feeding live animals, and assisting with opening and closing procedures.
- Answer visitor questions and provide other information about the museum.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Life Science Educators.
- Commited to sharing accurate science information.
- Comfortable working with and handling live animals.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Able to communicate effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Able to provide excellent customer service.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.