Shine Volunteer Support position
32 people are interested
Shine Foundation is a NYC-based nonprofit on a mission to empower survivors of domestic violence through financial literacy. We deliver group workshops on everything from building credit to budgeting to overcoming job hurdles to the most vulnerable - survivors in shelter who have become homeless after leaving their abusers. With the help of a diverse network of volunteers and no paid staff, we have assisted almost 400 survivors in only 4 years. We invite you to join us in helping more survivors thrive, financially!
We are looking for flexible, empathetic individuals with a "roll-up-your-sleeves" attitude to support our classes and serve as a "catch all" for any project needs. Support volunteers can be likened to teacher’s aides.
Shine assigns teams of facilitators and support volunteers to emergency shelter sites throughout NYC, prepares volunteers in a 6-8 hour intensive training and provides facilitators and support volunteers with a trauma-informed financial curriculum. In return, we’re looking for facilitators and support to deliver the curriculum at the assigned sites.
- Facilitate classes, as needed.
- Conduct research in preparation for classes and programs.
- Assist facilitators in designing activities and handouts for classes.
- Assist in material purchases or print-outs for sessions, as needed.
- Record data from each class for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Design flyers to advertise the classes.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Keen, creative eye for design and user experience.
- Timely and detail oriented.
- Receptive to receiving and giving feedback.
- Proficiency with PowerPoint and/or other design software tools to create handouts.
- Availability to support in-person.
- Timeframe: One-year
- Weekly commitment: 1 to 4 hours + travel to shelter sites in NYC
We invite all prospective volunteers to join us for a 45-minute virtual info session. Following the info session and depending on mutual interest, we then proceed with an online application and 1-on-1 interview.
Please click here to sign up for an info session -https://calendly.com/ shinefoundation/infosession
About Shine Foundation
PO Box 130206, New York, NY 10013, US
Shine Foundation provides free financial education to homeless abuse survivors in NYC. In doing so, Shine strives to help abuse survivors get back on their feet, financially, so that they may live free of abuse. In the U.S., 98% of all domestic violence cases involve some form of financial abuse. Domestic abuse is also one of the leading causes of poverty and homelessness in this nation. We can change that, and help survivors shine financially.
Launched in 2014, Shine Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, working in NYC, that helps homeless survivors of domestic violence achieve financial independence through financial education and support. Our approach is simple: we make financial planning fun and accessible to survivors, by delivering customized programs directly to survivors in local shelters and centers.
For more information, please visit www.shine-foundation.org.
6 Doyers St.#130206New York, NY 10013
- Special Needs
- Financial Literacy
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1-4 hours per week
- A passion to help others and make a difference.