5 people are interested
Volunteer Civics Teacher
5 people are interested
You are a charismatic teacher or tutor of civics, government, or US history with a passion for teaching immigrant students. You want to work closely with a small group of students to help them reach their reading, writing, and speaking goals. Sound like you? Good!
CIANA is looking for a volunteer civics instructor to teach once or twice per week. Our classes are typically composed of 10-20 students whose English proficiency ranges from beginner to intermediate who are studying to take their US citizenship exam. You must be comfortable managing a diverse group of students and facilitating fun and interactive activities. Since CIANA has been working remotely due to the COVID-19 outbreak, this position will also take place remotely. Hours are negotiable and the schedule will be discussed upon hire.
The Center for the Integration & Advancement of New Americans (CIANA) is a social services organization that works to integrate new immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and Latin America into the socio-economic and civic life of American society while maintaining pride in their cultural heritage.
- Write and deliver civics lessons to prepare students for naturalization interview based on a curriculum
- Facilitate lessons in a fun and accessible way while enhancing their English reading, writing, speaking, and listening
- Collaborate with other civics teachers on lesson development and execution
- Assist in tracking student needs and progress
- Consistent availability on weekdays from 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Charismatic, dynamic, and interactive instruction methods
- Motivated to help students achieve their goals
- Competent in and respectful of cultural differences
- Retirees are welcome
- Interest in civics, government, or US history
- Passionate about advancing immigrant rights
- Fluency or bilingualism in another language (especially Arabic, Spanish, and Bengali)
Hours: 2-4 hours per week
To apply, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or find out more about us on our social media or website and let’s chat: @cianainc or www.cianainc.org
About Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
31-09 Newtown Avenue, Suite 411, Astoria, NY 11102, US
To provide special transitional services which will lead to the successful integration of newcomers into American society while continuing to maintain pride in their own cultural heritage .
Immigrants and refugees will be provided with the tools to emerge from poverty, isolation, and linguistic barriers to become full, productive American citizens. Our services promote family well-being and stability, provide counseling and support services, and expose newcomers to the social, economic and educational opportunities available to them. Professional social services will include ESOL and civics classes, citizenship preparation, adult literacy, child welfare and youth services, legal and immigration assistance, financial literacy, micro credit and finance, employment assistance, and information and referral services. Newcomers will gain a deeper understanding of western culture and how to incorporate its positive qualities into their lives without fear of losing their culture and identity; it will help them shape an identity that encompasses the best of both worlds and prevents their isolation and marginalization.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 8, 2021
- Adult Education
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week