28 people are interested
Safe House Kids Group Assistant - Chicago Metro
ORGANIZATION: WINGS Program
Please visit the new page to apply.
28 people are interested
Title: Kid’s Group Assistant
Location: WINGS Domestic Violence Safe House, which is in an undisclosed location in the South Chicago Midway airport area
Time: Tuesday and Thursday evenings from approximately 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Commitment: Requires a 12-month commitment to volunteer weekly (with a "substitute" list available for occasional schedule changes). Occasionally there are opportunities for a commitment of every other week.
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (WINGS will provide this training, which is usually offered two (2) times a year.) and background check.
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- A willingness to keep the location confidential.
- Bilingual abilities are especially valued, but are not necessary for all applicants.
- Description: - A staff member will plan the activities. Volunteers participate in the activities to provide the children with more individual attention. Because the age ranges of the kids vary widely, often a smaller group is formed to adapt to the activity to the age group. However, ratios sometimes vary due to the unpredictable nature of families in this situation.
- THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD FIT FOR YOU IF:
- - This is a great opportunity for people who enjoy very young children. Often there are enough babies and toddlers to designate a "nursery" where the volunteer assistant will comfort and cuddle the littlest ones, or read books and play with toddlers.
- - At the Safe House, there are weekly groups for the kids in the evenings. The evenings have different themes. For example; one night could be game night, one night could be focused around the theme of cooperation.
- You enjoy being with children of all ages.
- You are fun-loving and enjoy participating in games and crafts.
- You are flexible and able to respond to changing situations.
- You have strong personal boundaries and are able to demonstrate those to children.
- You are interested in being a role model and teacher to the children in the areas of social skills, conflict resolution and respecting boundaries.
- You feel good when you are helping others.
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are non-judgmental about why families are in a situation where they are in need of help.
About WINGS Program
PO Box 95615, Palatine, IL 60095, US
The mission of WINGS is to provide a continuum of integrated services in an effort to end homelessness and domestic violence one family at a time.
WINGS Program, Inc. was founded in 1985 and has grown to include 5 transitional homes and over 20 apartments scattered throughout Park Ridge, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg and Barrington. In addition to shelter, food and clothing, WINGS programs include counseling, life skills, vocational training, and educational programs for women and therapeutic programs for children and adolescents. Our program equips women with the support, training and resources to help them become self-sufficient and financially independent, and provides children with a restored sense of security and stability. A woman and her children can stay in our transitional program for up to 2 years. The need for our transitional housing program is great. There are usually at least between 5 and 10 families on our waiting list. WINGS has also responded to an unmet need in the north and northwest suburban area, by building and operating a 45 bed domestic violence Safe House. Previously, there had been no accessible shelters in which a woman and her children, who are fleeing a desperate situation, can go. Families who enter the Safe Hous will be provided short-term shelter, legal counseling, crisis counseling and other services to help them stabilize their situation.
Wings MetroP.O. Box 29309Chicago, IL 60629
December 5, 2022
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training